Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hunter-emma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 10:14 AM
    My 8 yr old lab will not eat
    Hello,

I have a 8 yr old choc lab (Hunter) He is a great dog!! The problem we are having is he has stopped wanting to eat his dog food. This happened about a week ago, we took him to the vet, because on top of not wanting to eat his food he was acting really funny. They checked him out and it turned out he has a really bad ear infection, they said this really shouldn't cause a dog to stop eating. But then they asking if he was a very sensitive dog (and he is Very) and they said OK this most likely was the cause of him not eating. They gave us a bottle of Ear meds (not sure what the name is of the meds) and everything was going great he was eating again (slowly but eating) Then 2 days ago he stopped eating again, he is still on the ear meds (3 to 4 weeks). He still is drinking water, going to the bathroom (both #1 and 2) will eat a dog treat or people food.

2 nights ago after he would not eat in the AM or PM I ran to the store and pick up some different dog food. (Beniful, he was eating Iams for 8 years) and he ate the new (dry) food right away. I also picked up a can of wet dog food he ate that all up as well. Then yesterday same thing he wouldn't eat again, he wouldn't try either of the dry foods or the caned food. We tried pouring some chicken broth on the food and he just licked it up and took a few bite's of the food and even took some of the food sucked off the broth and spit out the kibble. So I ended up making his some rice and he DID eat that (Thankfully!! ) We are looking your thought or opinions? Should I try another food? Could he have a stomach flu? Or be Sick? He normally toots (has bad gas) a lot and I haven't heard or smelled anything from hin in a week or so? Anything thought would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you and have a great day!
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2009, 01:17 PM

I would talk to your vet before changing foods on your dog. It's been my experience that rapidly changing foods on dogs can upset their diet. Also, I remember when our family's female lab was pregnant she stopped eating also. My father and I had read that you shouldn't change the foods to try and entice her to eat as this will make her even pickier.

So I would talk to your vet before changing your pet's diet repeatedly. Keep the same old food for him available until you get the chance to see your vet.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 06:17 PM

He has an ear infection. That means he feels like crap. I don't eat when I feel bad, do you? Leave him some food out; if he gets to feeling a little better he can pick at it. When the ear is better see what his appetite is like.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What should an 11 year old kid eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner? [ 12 Answers ]

I am asking this because I feel that I am missing something healthy at these eating times. I am 11 years old, so I need a specific nutrition for what I should eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Dog won't eat since we got a new puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 3yr old male yorkie, who we recently bought a companion for so he's not alone when we decide to start a family. The new puppy is a 9 week old female mini schnauzer. Baxter (the yorkie) has within the week of getting the puppy, has vomited 8-10 times and has the runs. He also will not eat...

Woke up with swollen upper inner left gum as well as my uola and I can't eat. [ 3 Answers ]

My upper inner left gum is swollen and my uvola is enlarged. I tried to eat but its painful to swallow. Any suggestions as to what might have caused this? I brush my teeth every day and every night.

Why won't my puppy eat [ 6 Answers ]

We just brought our new toy schnauzer home (yesterday). He is 6 weeks old. He doesn't want to eat or drink. When should I be worried and should I syringe feed him? He only weighs 1 lb. 2 oz.

View more questions Search