Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    auntienay01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 08:42 AM
    How to get flees off a newborn puppy
    The puppys mother really doesn't want anything to do with her pup. Her pup also was flees how could I take care of this
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 09:54 AM

I don't think that it is safe to put chemicals on puppies of less than six weeks of age. Fleas can be very dangerous to young puppies and can even result in a puppy dying from anaemia so you do need to kill these fleas.
    If the puppy is with it's mother and nursing it is more than likely that the mother dog has a flea infestation so first you need to treat the mother dog.
    If there are other cats or dogs in the household you need to treat all pets and also your house.
    The safest way to treat a puppy under 6 weeks of age for fleas is to bathe him using warm water and Dawn dishwashing detergent and then to manually pick off remaining fleas. Dawn dishwashing soap is very effective and it kills fleas quickly. Many breeders that I have talked to bathe their dogs in Dawn.

Fleas often carry tapeworm eggs, which will begin to hatch into larvae and mature into adults when the puppy eats the flea when grooming.

Drontal Puppy is available in liquid suspension or tablet form, specifically designed to control worms in puppies. It is seen as one of the most effective wormers, and often recommended by vets. Drontal contains the drugs pyrantel and febantel, which are effective against all types of worms.
    Not sure on the age that it is OK to give this to puppies... But I bet someone will have some better advice soon!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 06:12 PM

How old is the "newborn?" Even bathing can be dangerous at too young an age, and any nursing pup needs to be dried and bundled to stay warm. The mother likely doesn't want to groom the fleas off with her tongue, so definitely treat and bathe her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Custody over a newborn [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 8 months pregnant with my little boy Matteo, his father is in the military and is demanding full custody already. We are not together and we were never married. Could he take my child from me?

Few day old baby kittens with a lot OF FLEES! [ 17 Answers ]

Hello Friends, I don't know what to do:confused:? They are soooooooo cute, they have REALLY REALLY BIG flees, and a lot of dirt on them... They can hardly see, and they fall over when the walk... They don't have a mom, and I don't want to lose them because of some dumb flees... so that...

My pregnant dog has flees [ 3 Answers ]

I have just found some flees on my pregnant dog what is the safest way to get rid of them I don't want to do anything to harm her or her unborn pupps (I do have a cat don't know if this makes a difference) Please help

Flees in the apartment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is gladys duran and my question is as follow my husband n me lived with our baby in a two bedroom apartment but decided to get a one bedroom in the same complex, we were moving on the weeked n noticed the apartment was infested with flees we waited over the weekend to speak with some one...

Kittens have flees! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé and I took in a mother cat and her 6 kittens and they are now 4 or 5 weeks old and are being over-run with flees. The mother must have had them since we got her since she hasn't been outside since. We are just now starting to find homes for them and plan on keeping two of...

View more questions Search