Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SillyWabbit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 11:31 PM
    Bleeding hydronic baseboard heating
    This past summer, roofers put a nail through one of the pipes of our hydronic heating system that runs in the attic to the baseboard across the room. This was repaired, and the system seems to be working fine, except for that set of baseboards now. Every other baseboard that is fed from under the house in the other rooms is working fine, but this one that is fed by the pipe that goes up into the attic is ice cold. My suspicion is that when the pipe was repaired, the water was never able to be drawn back up and to the baseboards again because it was fighting against gravity (although it with a pump running things, that doesn't make perfect sense). I thought maybe bleeding that particular baseboard could get the hot water flowing to it again, and release any air in that part of the system, but using the bleeder screw, I filled an 8 oz glass with water that seemed to be under pretty good pressure, without evidence of air escaping, so I stopped, not being exactly sure if the water I bleed out is automatically replaced from the city feed, and not sure anymore if that was the correct solution. So I guess, I'm wondering what the exact problem may be, and wondering if I was on the right track, but just need to bleed for longer to get it to work. And if I do, should I be doing that with the system running, or leave it off? Thanks for your help!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 01:15 AM

It looks like you have air lock in the line. Do this: Go to the most distant radiator - or to the pump's bleed screw - and open it. Let water run until you feel hot water in all radiators. That should do... Also, you could install Watts air release valve. It does bleeding automatically.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 05:25 AM
    Hi all...

Sillywabbiit... continue bleeding that baseboard using its own vent... try to get about a gallon of water out of that basebaord vent... shake the pipe abit while doing it. You might be surprised to find that with some pipe systems that are looped it can be problematic to get that one air pocket out that stops the pump from engaging and pumping the water up.

The weather hasn't gotten cold enough to freeze the pipe in the attic, by chance, has it? Just another thought.

MARK
    SillyWabbit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 07:28 AM

Okay, so basically keep bleeding until I get the hot water back into that baseboard? Should the system be running while I am doing this, or do I need to leave it off?

And in terms of the pipes freezing, we did have a pretty nice cold snap into the low 20's for a couple days, but I don't think the pipe froze, and the temps have since evened out above freezing again.

Thanks for your help guys, it's much appreciated.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Keep bleeding the pipe and then after you have collected tons of water and FINALLY find that air pocket holding you up (it will show up in a big spurt or multiple spurts if air is the issue), you turn the furnace back on and see if it worked... ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding a baseboard hot water heating system [ 2 Answers ]

I have a oil fired hot water boiler with baseboard heating. I have to replace the circulator and want to know how to bleed the system and then refill it when I am done. What is the proper procedure for this and what tools will I need?

Bleeding air from a hot water baseboard heating system [ 1 Answers ]

When my furnice turns on there is a lot of loud gurgling of water heard in all the water lines for my hot water baseboard heating system. It is getting worse and worse. As with so many people nowadays we just don't have money to call in a professional to help. Is there an easy fix for this...

Bleeding Hydronic Baseboard heating system [ 2 Answers ]

I have just moved into an old house in New Jersey and the house has two separate heating zones: one thermostat upstairs and one thermostat downstairs. The upstairs thermostat is currently inoperative, so a PSE&G technician circumvented the problem, and now both upstairs and downstairs are being...

Under cabinet kickspace hydronic heater vs baseboard [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my kitchen and I currently have and 8ft hot water baseboard heater in the room. I need to put a cabinet where the baseboard heater is now. I want to use a kickspace hydronic heater under the kitchen sink in lieu of baseboard. There are several models of kickspace heaters and I...

View more questions Search