Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrincessGraceKelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 10:34 AM
    HELP! Puppy pees inside with no warning.
    Hello! About a month ago we got a Cavalier King Charles puppy that is now about 14 1/2weeks old. We are trying to housetrain her to go outside only and things are going better than we expected. We work further from home so we have a friend or family member come over mid day to left her out of her crate to potty. She is on a feeding schedule also. If there is no one available to let her out during the day, she unfortunately is in her crate all day, but she NEVER has had an accident in her crate :) She has learned now for the most part to go to the door when she needs to go out. My question is this... she still at times pees in the house. She gives us no warning whatsoever that she has to go out, doesn't go to the door, doesn't whine, doesn't sniff around. She just all of the sudden will be playing or whatever and justs drop her toy and pees. We immediately give a firm 'no' and take her immediately outside to finish. What do we need to do? How can we tell that she has to pee if she doesn't warn us? We are getting so paranoid that anytime she sniffs around we take her out, half the time she doesn't really need to pee! All in all she has been great so far with training, we just can't seem to get over this last little hurtle! HELP!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2009, 11:14 AM

You're staring out well.
    I suggest that after she finishes outside, you give her a treat.

When she goes in the house, stop her lik eyou have been, tell her no, and take her outside to go, then treat her for going outside.

She might be gettign excited when you play with her. I suggest maybe letting her outside before you play, or find a key word that you ask about every hour so she can tell you if she has to go. Shazamatazz, another member on here does that. She taught her dogs a word for going potty and then when she says it they either get excited because they have to go, or they don't react. The key, is consistency.

Avoid aversion training such as swatting the puppy or rubbing their nose in it, it can lead to aggression later on, and it doesn't really register.

Puppys are still babies, and they have accidents from time to time. You seem to have the right idea.

Also, maybe get her training pads for inside of her crate so that if there is a restroom emergency she can use the paper.

Good luck. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 05:45 PM

Had to spread the rep ohso but good post.

Just like to add that Cavaliers are notoriously hard to potty train so just keep persevering with her. Lots of praise for good behaviour, a stern voice for bad behaviour.

In the mean time might be a good idea to invest in some good cleaning products, a few accidents here and there can build up.
    Enzyme cleaners are the best as they break down the urine and completely get rid of the smell.
    A cheaper alternative is baking soda, just sprinkle it over the area (after you have mopped up with paper towel) leave for a while then vacuum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy pees in his crate [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 11 week old wired hair pointing griffon-large breed I am home all day with him and in the processs of crate training which we began @ 8 weeks, that part is going well. He is on a srtict 2x day feeding scheduale and has plenty bathroom breaks outside as well as 2 long walks a day combined...

16 week old puppy pees 3-4 times outside [ 4 Answers ]

Help! Have a 16 week old cavalier king charles spaniel who I have had for almost 2 weeks. She had a uti infection that vet gave me antibiotics for and tomorrow is her last dose. Each time I take her outside, she pees 2, 3 sometimes 4 times. I have stopped giving her praise and treats for all...

Puppy pees in her sleep! [ 3 Answers ]

I have a female puppy who is almost 12 weeks old, and she pees even while she's sleeping. And it's not just a little bit, she'll pee a whole puddle and she'll be soaking wet. I have a cousin who works for animal control and has never heard of that happening. She pees in the house sometimes and...

New Puppy pees on Bed in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I thought that dogs would not pee on the bed that they sleep in. Is this just because he is a puppy or is their another answer? He is a 16 week old Shepadoodle.

Puppy pees maybe a little too much? [ 1 Answers ]

Callie is 11 weeks old now. She has been doing very good with her potty training. She knows where she's supposed to do her business and loves the praise she gets for doing it. Whenever I take her outside she normally pees like 3 times in probably 3 minutes while she's out there. And when I am...

View more questions Search