Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    youresoscene_xxx Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 03:42 PM
    What is the significance of meeting a guy's friends/family?
    I met a guy from a dating site a little over two weeks ago. We didn't meet up until this past weekend and I ended up staying the weekend with him. We didn't meet before cause I live 3 hours from him, but I am planning on moving back to my old hometown, so I'd only live like 30 minutes from him. We talked on the phone every night for minimum one hour, sometimes two or three hours.

Anyway, he introduced me to about 3 or 4 of his friends and we hung out with them quite a few times over the entire weekend. Pretty sure I scored points with one of his friends cause they were working on a Jeep a few hours on Sat and Sun (all his friends are into cars and modding them and what not) and I didn't complain. The guy I am seeing made a comment how his ex couldn't even stand being in the garage for 5 minutes.

I also met his parents. The first time we went over there his mom was telling me about her Café thing on Facebook. She got all excited and was like, "you've gotta come see this", meanwhile he (the guy I was with) was in the other room talking to his dad. So me and his mom sat in the computer room for a bit just talking and he would come in every now and again. I was not expecting to meet his parents that soon. He is very close to his mom. His dad too, but more so his mom. I don't know if it was a coincidence that he went over to his parents house twice while I was there, or if he told them I was going to be in town and they wanted to meet me. He apparently had been talking about me cause his mom knew that I was a vet tech (his roomie also knew stuff about me as well). His mom made a comment on how she liked me. Before I left the second time his mom said it was good to see me again. I also know he hasn't been in many relationships. Only two. His last one was 3 1/2 years.

I would think a guy would want you meeting his parents/friends only if he was really interested in you and could see himself being with you, right? I was always under the impression that guys wouldn't want just anyone to meet his friends, since it's usually a pretty tight circle of friends. Am I wrong to think that since I met his family/friends that he sees me as relationship material?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2009, 03:56 PM

You should just enjoy having a new boyfriend.

Don't ruin it by looking too far into things.

I think that he, and his family, like you just fine.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2009, 03:58 PM

I would say your dead on the money...

If he is bringing you home to meet his parents,he is interested.

But.

I know I'm going to throw a big black fly into the romance... its only been two weeks.

Too soon to get serious, and too soon to think long term.

So what are you left with.

1.this is his usual m.o.

2. he wanted feedback from his friends and family.

3. he is serious and thinking long term.

4. its only been 2 weeks, what the hell!

Too serious too quick, take it easy,start slow and build the relationship.

I just wanted to add,you met him over the internet 2 weeks ago,and stayed the weekend with him,id say your lucky you didn't end up in the boot of his car!

OK, so you didn't,but really you don't know this man at all... meeting the friends and parents does not automatically make him a safe decent guy.

I know that sounds over the top,but it does happen,please use a little caution.

Dec 14, 2009, 04:17 PM

I think the fact that he offered to sleep downstairs on the couch so I could sleep in his bed makes him an overall decent guy, but that's just me. I told him he didn't have to sleep on the couch though.

And I know it's too soon to think long term, but I was just curious how significant meeting a guys parents/friends. If there was no correlation as to how much they were into you, etc.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2009, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    i just wanted to add,you met him over the internet 2 weeks ago,and stayed the weekend with him,id say your lucky you didnt end up in the boot of his car!

ok, so you didnt,but really you dont know this man at all...meeting the friends and parents does not automaticly make him a safe decent guy.

i know that sounds over the top,but it does happen,please use a little caution.
    I couldn't agree more with this. The internet, while useful in making matches, is a very dangerous place to meet people. There is a large percent of people online who are not who they say they are. But you did, and he seems normal, but be careful.

I'm confident in your investigative skills as of yet. You broke down the "meet the parents" incident with crystal clear clarity. Is your name Nancy Drew?

Like redhed35 stated, it's only been two weeks. Have you always been so quick to love?

Heck, you're moving for him!
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by youresoscene_xxx View Post
    I think the fact that he offered to sleep downstairs on the couch so I could sleep in his bed makes him an overall decent guy, but that's just me. I told him he didn't have to sleep on the couch though.

And I know it's too soon to think long term, but I was just curious how significant meeting a guys parents/friends. If there was no correlation as to how much they were into you, etc.

To answer your question directly.. I would say yes.. its a good sign he is interested.

Dec 14, 2009, 09:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this. the internet, while useful in making matches, is a very dangerous place to meet people. There is a large percent of people online who are not who they say they are. But you did, and he seems normal, but be careful.

I'm confident in your investigative skills as of yet. You broke down the "meet the parents" incident with crystal clear clarity. Is your name Nancy Drew?

Like redhed35 stated, it's only been two weeks. Have you always been so quick to love?

Heck, you're moving for him!
    I'm not moving *for* him. I've been trying to move back to my hometown for the longest time. I had been planning on doing so before I even met him.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2009, 10:51 AM

Your role in the family/friend meetings, is to observe how he behaves around his family, and what his family background is. (A lot of people say that how a guy treats his mom and sisters, is how he will treat his wife, and same with women and their father's and brother's.) You're supposed to be watchfull of his family and friends. Just because a guy invites you over to his family's place doesn't mean he's "interested." (I've had guys as friends that have invited me over for dinner with their family, and there wasn't any interest.) If you're wondering if he's interested or not... Ask him!

Mar 25, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Why did this guy contact me after 3 months of not talking?
    So I met this guy from a dating site back in December. I felt comfortable with him, so I stayed the weekend with him though it wasn't intended as that at first. He even bought all my food that weekend even though I insisted I had money. I left and he told me to let him know when I'd be in town again cause I was planning on moving back to the area soon for a job. I didn't have a job at that point in the area, but I was looking (I ended up getting a job a month later). I didn't really hear from him much after that. He im'ed me briefly on Facebook and we talked for about 2 minutes, and I told him not to be such a stranger. Never heard from him again. 3 months later he pokes me on Facebook. 3 months of no talking what-so-ever. No "hi, how are you doing?" Nothing. So I'm like, okay, How random. I honestly thought I'd never hear from him again. I message him and say, long time no talk. He messages me back and says, "I know, what the hell! How's it been going?" so I reply and say surely he isn't surprised that it's been so long since we've talked cause he just kind of stopped talking to me. Then I told him how I was.

I noticed back in January this girl was leaving messages on his wall saying how she loved spending time with him and loved him, etc. I'm pretty sure it's his ex. Though his Facebook has said single the whole time. I do remember him telling me how selfish she was and just generally bad things about her and how she was always trying to talk to him and he wasn't interested. Not sure if he changed his mind somewhere down the road or if she has more interest in him than her does her.

I'm just not sure why he would decide to contact me after all this time. When I did visit him there was nothing sexual. Never kissed, held hands or anything. I even slept in the same bed as him and nothing happened. He had even offered to sleep on the couch. So no one can say "he wants a booty call" cause that's not the case. It's not even like we were super close friends and he wanted to get back in touch with me. I knew the dude for about 2-3 weeks. I expect most guys to just blow you off and never talk to you again, though his actions confuse me. So I'm sitting here thinking, why me?
    AmericanGirl01 Posts: 145, Reputation: 83

Mar 25, 2010, 11:37 AM

All this facebooking, poking,messaging and wall posts are all very confusing.

So, in January his ex is saying on Facebook that she loves him and loved speding time with him (I'm assuming they were seeing each other for her to make that statement), however you met him through a dating site in December but nothing happened.

Honestly, it really sounds like there is some left over stuff with the ex there. Yes, he may have said bad things about her to you, but it sounds like they were seeing each other and if she was as annoying as he said, or if he in fact wasn't interested in talking to her, he could have easily deleted her from his friends or deleted the wall posts. However, he left them up there, for everyone to see.

Maybe he just wants to be friends with you? Or is rebounding. Who knows. If it means that much to you, maybe just ask him. If not, just let this one go.

In my opinion, it all sounds way too confusing and isn't worth it.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2010, 12:31 PM

So he meets you, hangs out with you, bad-mouthed his ex, disappeared, kept in touch with your ex as evidenced by Facebook and now suddenly reappears; my guess is he's looking for a rebound.

Watch his moves because if you ask him what the deal is, he'll probably lie to you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 07:53 PM

I think you stay cautious while you find out the facts, before you get carried away. That's what dating is about, having fun getting to know each other without going overboard.

You already know he had a girlfriend, but was single when he met you, so maybe he has had time to get over it, or maybe he just wants to have fun.

Either way be careful, because you still don't know anything about him but he has a family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meeting my ex to go shopping as friends. [ 35 Answers ]

Okay guys they said to make a new post so ill do that. Ill try to be as unbiased and informative as possible. Girl I loved. 3 Yrs 4mth. Love her with all my heart. Lately we been arguing and every time we argued she would lose more feelings for me. Ultimately we ended breaking up... like...

Friends over family? [ 11 Answers ]

I wasn't sure what category to put this under so I hope it fits.. ever since I can remember my father has always been a distant person twords my family. When he's at home he acts totally uniterested in everything, he just sits in his chair and stairs at the TV, or into blank space. When he...

How to tell our family and friends we are getting married in two months. [ 4 Answers ]

Even though we are engaged now, we are waiting until his 20th birthday, *october 30th* to tell our family and friends of our engagement. We have the date set as December 26th, 2008. Which is two months after we break news of our engagement. How do we tell our family and friends that we are getting...

My Family doesn't allow boy friends [ 5 Answers ]

I have a boyfriend but my parents don't allow boyfriends so I don't know if what to do

Scared to see my own family and friends [ 3 Answers ]

My issue has been bothering me for about 6-7 years. It all started when I became addicted to the computer. An old friend of mine taught me a lot about the computer so from there I became addicted and dedicated all my time to it. I had little friends and I was only social in school. On a family get...

View more questions Search