Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KJM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 02:34 AM
    My Son has a different father.
    I was very young when I had my son. His father and I did not last very long together but he did take the father figure for about 3 years, then he just faded away shortly after. My parents never wanted me to ask or force my son's father to be part of our son's life, nor did they want me to mention anything to my son about his real father. When My son was only a few months old I feel in love with who is now my current partner, and he became my son's father figure, we have become a happy family for 10 years now. My Question is what's a decent age to tell a child about his real father in which he can understand and how can I passably tell my son about his father with out hurting his feelings or making him feel depressed?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 06:42 AM
    So your son's about 13 now? This is a delicate situation. In general, I think it's a mistake to keep big secrets from children. They're more resilient than adults often give them credit for. I think he needs to be told the truth, sooner rather than later. He may or may not take it well, but if he gets upset, it will probably be mostly because you didn't tell him sooner. You might start by telling him that you have misgivings of your own about the past and that's why you've been reluctant to tell him. If your relationship with him is good otherwise, he'll probably be OK with it. Whatever, it's time to get it out in the open and deal with it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Its past time. Its not clear whether the son is 10 or older, but even at 10, its past time.

You probably can't eliminate feelings of hurt at the abandonment by his biological father. If he wants to try and contact him, do not stand in his way.

You can minimze the hurt by talking about how immature both of you were when he was born. How lucky he is that your current partner has accepted and raised him as his own.

Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Son And His Father [ 6 Answers ]

I have been married for 16 years and have a son aged 14 and a daughter of 11. Although we still live together my husband and myself have had many problems in the past but have stuck together. We don't sleep in the same room and have more of a 'mate' relationship. My problem is my son. He is a...

COUNTIF (counting two different rows) [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have a countif statement that says... =COUNTIF(A:A,"A0067") A0067 is a type of radio we are using. This spreadsheet list what radios are down for repair. This particular radio belongs to Department A so in Colume B it has "Department A" right beside it. Now there are some...

Our New Son [ 27 Answers ]

Noah Samuel Kohen, son of Chava (orange) and Alex Kohen Born April 28, 2006 at 2:46 pm 7 lbs, 9 ounces Thank you for the warm welcome and kind wishes. The c-section went well with no complications. Noah is a large healthy baby, despite toxemia and early delivery. My wife is...

Source of income different from state of work and residence [ 1 Answers ]

I was in F1- OPT from feb 1 of 2005 and got employed by a firm in NJ and am working as a IT tech support for a client in Nashville ,TN. I have been living in TN for about an year now. I have been paying the federal tax (15%) and also the NJ state tax till date. From August I have transferred to an...

My son is gone... now what? [ 15 Answers ]

My son, Tiponi passed away in Dec. 2004. My shield of numbness is gone from me. I feel alone on the subject of death as no one here will talk about it or my son, Tiponi. If I mention his name the subject is quickly changed. If I have a moment of crying because I miss him so... my boyfriend...

View more questions Search