Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yaplelynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 10:29 AM
    I am a canadian citizen how do I get taxed if I receive income from the us
    I am a canadian citizen with rental property in the US. How am I taxed on rental income received from the US?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Dec 14, 2009, 01:13 PM

You will be taxed at 30% of the GROSS income of the rental property under treaty:

Article VI
    Income from Real Property
    1. Income derived by a resident of a Contracting State from real property (including income from agriculture, forestry or other natural resources) situated in the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other State.

2. For the purposes of this Convention, the term "real property" shall have the meaning which it has under the taxation laws of the Contracting State in which the property in question is situated and shall include any option or similar right in respect thereof. The term shall in any case include usufruct of real property, rights to explore for or to exploit mineral deposits, sources and other natural resources and rights to amounts computed by reference to the amount or value of production from such resources; ships and aircraft shall not be regarded as real property.

3. The provisions of paragraph 1 shall apply to income derived from the direct use, letting or use in any other form of real property and to income from the alienation of such property.

UNLESS, you elect to treat this income as a trade or business in the U.S.A. In that case you may deduct all your expenses and pay tax at graduated rates.

You will need to:
    1. Get an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN). See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf
    You will attach to that application a certified copy of your passport, proof that you own the property, and a letter from your property manager (if any) indicating that he/she is collecting rents on your behalf.

2. After receiving your number you will complete Form W8-ECI and send it to your agent. See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8eci.pdf and,
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8eci.pdf

3. For the tax year in question you will file a 1040NR form and a schedule E detailing your expenses and depreciation. Depending on the State where the property is located you will most likely have State tax obligations also.

My advice to you is to secure the services of an able tax professional in the US.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Five Rings advice is absolutely correct.

If you need help filing your return and applying for an ITIN, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian divorce if the other party is not a canadian citizen or iimigrant [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a landed immigran here in Canada. Last year I went back to the Philippines to get married. For some reason, my wife, after we got married decided that she doesn't want to go with me to canada And decided that we should instead end our legal relationship. My question, can I file a...

Canadian citizen with US income; spouse has Canadian income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Please help me understand how to file my taxes (none of the online software, like TurboTax, TaxCut, etc... seem to be able to handle this proprely) I'm an H1 visa holder; I'm working and living in US since 09/2007. My wife has been living and working in Canada in almost all 2008 (360...

ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen) [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN. How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I...

Canadian citizen to marry dual citizen (us/can) and relocate to US. [ 1 Answers ]

I am dual citizen (Can and US) born in Canada. Citizenship through mother who is American. Fiancé is Canadian. We both live in Canada now. I have been in Canada for 9 years working. We want to marry and relocate to states to be closer to my family. First, is it better to marry in Canada or...

On NJ Tax form, for income taxed by NY, do I use the NY AGI or NY Taxable Income amt? [ 1 Answers ]

When filling out the NJ Income Tax form, I have to identify the amount of income taxed by NY State. Do I use the Adjusted Gross Income value (NY form IT-203) line 31, or the NY Taxable Income value from line 37?

View more questions Search