Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snrobbins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Why did my senior dog defecate in the house?
    My 10-year-old 75-pound husky/collie mix defecated in the house this morning for the first time ever. He didn't even seem to be aware that it had happened. He's also passing enormous amounts of noisy (and smelly) gas.

He's basically an inside dog, but has access to the yard through his dog door. I walk him twice a day, which is when he usually "poops".

He had a complete physical done two months ago and came away with a clean bill of health (except for a non-cancerous fatty tumor under his front leg). He does have arthritis and the beginning of cataracts, but neither of these explain what on earth caused him to do this. I'm very concerned; Smokey has been my best friend all his life. I hate to think this is something really serious.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 07:33 AM

Welcome to the world of senior citizen canines, snrobbins. They suffer from the same old age ailments we do and sometimes we just have to not worry about it. It may be a random incident and he won't do it again. He is still your best friend only now you have to care for his quality of life deteriorating.

No advice, what can I say, I have gone through this too. You say he didn't appear to have know he did it, maybe so, he has his doggy door but could be he just got caught short.

ms tickle
    snrobbins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks, Ms. Tickle - I appreciate your response. I have to admit he and I are suffering from a lot of the same old-age problems, which is good in a way since I can empathize (I'm 63). We both have arthritis and cataracts, and neither of us is quite as peppy as we used to be, but we still take time to walk and play, and I love my guy enough to take care of whatever needs he has as he ages. I just hate to see him deteriorate! Wish he could stay a teenager forever.

Imagine saying that about your human kids!!

Sheila Robbins
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snrobbins View Post
    Thanks, Ms. Tickle - I appreciate your response. I have to admit he and I are suffering from a lot of the same old-age problems, which is good in a way since I can empathize (I'm 63). We both have arthritis and cataracts, and neither of us is quite as peppy as we used to be, but we still take time to walk and play, and I love my guy enough to take care of whatever needs he has as he ages. I just hate to see him deteriorate! Wish he could stay a teenager forever.

Imagine saying that about your human kids!!!!

Sheila Robbins
    Yes, sheila, I am in the same boat too. All we can do is just love them to pieces, right !

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't my dog look at my new puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I got a new puppy. A male pembroke welsh corgi. My other dog, al male, but neutered Australian Cattle Dog, does not like him. My acd will bark and growl at the puppy if it is near him, but once the pupy goes about five feet from him, he will stop barking/growling and look away and completely...

Why is my dog suddenly peeing and pooping in the house? [ 8 Answers ]

My dog Cheyenne is a Yorkshire Terrier she is the Silky Yorkie. She is about 2 years old and never used to have this problem with peeing and pooping in the house. I'm worried, I don't know why she stopped going outside. When I put her outside, she goes but then she goes MORE inside! Nothing changed...

Dog won't eat since we got a new puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 3yr old male yorkie, who we recently bought a companion for so he's not alone when we decide to start a family. The new puppy is a 9 week old female mini schnauzer. Baxter (the yorkie) has within the week of getting the puppy, has vomited 8-10 times and has the runs. He also will not eat...

How much gravol should I give my 7 pound dog? [ 1 Answers ]

Its really short notice but I am flying my puppy for a 8 hour flight tomorrow. She is 7 pounds. I was wondering if a quarter of a round pill dose of gravol would be a lot for her?

View more questions Search