Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronelaine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Why would sewer backup leak from toilet base
    While we were away for the summer our upstairs condo neighbors deposited 'stuff'' into the drainage system that clogged and caused a toilet backup which flooded our bathroom. Our caretaker said that the toilet leaked because the wax seal is cracked. We have never had any floor moisture around this toilet and there is none now. If the backflow unseated the seal wouldn't we have seepage now? We will take a look, but it is a puzzlement. Any ideas?
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Dec 14, 2009, 07:27 AM

I'd say no - not if the clog your neighbor created has been removed. There may still be seepage, however it may be so small so as not to make it outside the base of the bowl. A wax ring can be picked up at any big box store or plumbing supply store for $5 or less. I'd pick one up, remove the toilet, scrape off the old wax ring from the underside of the toilet and flange on the floor, and re-seat the toilet with the new ring. Cheap insurance against another possible leak.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 14, 2009, 08:51 AM

We have never had any floor moisture around this toilet and there is none now. If the backflow unseated the seal wouldn't we have seepage now?
    Wax seals are there to contain sewer gas and provide a seal for the toilet discharge. Now you got to realize the toilet bowl has a horn that directs the flow PAST the wax seal. So under normal conditions it's not design to contain water. With a back up you have back pressure forcing water, under pressure, past the wax seal.
    That's the reason you see water around the base of the bowl.
    If you don't see any water when you flush or smell any odor then I would say the seal's doing its job. If you do see or smell any of the above then replace the wax seal. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Backup Insurance [ 11 Answers ]

I asked this in the plumbing section as it has to do with sewer backup, but this is likely a good place to post it as well... I purchased my house about 2 years ago and did not purchase sewer backup insurance, as my insurance agent said I did not need it since my house is on a slab. Now that I...

Sewer backup [ 3 Answers ]

This has only happened once so far but wanted to know if it will get worse. The upstairs toilet was flushed and about a 6" puddle of raw sewage came out of the floor drain in the basement. I poured hot water down the floor drain and tried flushing the upstairs toilet several more times and no...

Sewer Backup [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question about insurance for sewer backup if my policy says water h3 comprensive coverage does that include sewer backup? If so what are my rights when it comes to sewer backup's and how it should be cleaned or fixed properly. My adjuster says I am covered because it was determined to have...

Toilet sudden backup and sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

We live in a two story colonial home - just moved in 5 months ago. I noticed that one of our second story bathrooms often gives off a sewer smell. The other day I opened the lid to find foul backup - dirty water and paper. This toilet is almost never used. It obviously is getting backup from...

Sewer Backup? [ 1 Answers ]

Lots if fecal smelling soapy water came out in the garage when I ran the washing machine. This is after 3 days of rain on a municipal sewer system. Should I call the township, call a plumber, or blow up the house?:confused:

View more questions Search