Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brownbrussels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Why is my boyfriend's dying mother coming between us
    My boyfriend's mother and him were never close. She left him, his father, and his 2 siblings and married his dad's brother and moved away, splitting the family in half.
    She is now back dying of liver cirrhosis and her and the "uncle"/"step-dad" are in need of help. It is so hard to deal with my boyfriend pushing me away and feeling guilty for hating her all these years for what she did. She was denied a liver transplant and is here in our town in the hospital and we are the only ones who care. He has been so mean and it is had an impact on our relationship of 4yrs. HELP!
    Young_Cardinal Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2009, 01:28 PM

Its because its still his mom...
    Right now that's probably all that's in his mind, doesn't mean that he doesn't care/love you... but death is like the worst thing to be surrounding a person
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 13, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Back off and let him deal with his issues. All you can do is support and observe.

It doesn't have to come between you unless you are aggravating the situation. Are you? Are you in the background or pushing for his time??

Anger, misdirected or not, often follows grief, guilt, and helplessness. Which is he, or is it all the above?
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Dec 13, 2009, 01:31 PM
    He needs to be there for his mother. Show your support and don't take too much personaly, he has a lot of issues to deal with right now. Be by his side, but give him space when he needs it.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2009, 01:45 PM
    He's about to lose the mother he already lost once,so for him this must be a very tough time. You can only give him your support and the space he needs to cope with this.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 01:49 PM

I would think,he can't be angry at her,she's dying, it does not change the past,but the feelings are all there.

All you can do as was said is give him the time he needs,he will need you after wards,and may even push you away.

If he can feel safe with you and know you're a constant in the background for now,it will help him.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 03:30 PM
    If you love him, you need to be there to support him. It's probably emotionally draining for him and it's making him short-tempered. Try to be understanding.

He missed so much time with his mother that he needs to make peace with it. Don't pressure him - he'll only end up resenting you if he listens to you and doesn't do what he knows in his heart he needs to do. Let his mom have her son through her dying days. If you love him, just be there to pick up the pieces when she's gone.
    itried Posts: 249, Reputation: 108

Dec 13, 2009, 03:42 PM

I think it's really the other way around: you're getting in the way of him and his DYING MOTHER!

The first thing you need to do is understand that there will be trials and tribulations during life that can have an effect on your relationships. If you're too selfish to understand this, and expect YOUR happiness to always be the top priority in your bf's life then you are in serious need of a reality check.

No offence, but your post comes across as selfish, immature and spiteful. I think it's time for you to have some empathy and put your needs on the back burner for the time being. If you're incapable of this, then leave your boyfriend because if you think that he's going to forget about his dying mother so he can make you sundaes, bring you flowers and ballons and blow smoke up your arse you're in for a rude awakening.

People go through their whole lives under the impression that they are good, kind, caring people but never really prove it. I think you've got a chance here. Make the most of it and show your boyfriend that he made the right choice by being with you. Trust me, if you turn into a b-i-t-c-h because of all this and leave him you'll be doing him a favour more than yourself.
    Misshersomuch Posts: 84, Reputation: 12

Dec 13, 2009, 03:52 PM

Imagine if your own mother were dying.

I don't say this to upset you, or offend you in any way, I'm just saying try to place yourself in his situation. He must be in a very emotional state right now, no matter what sort of relationship he had to his mother she still is his mother.

Give him support, time, room, anything he should need right now. It's what he needs from you.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Well, this poor woman is dying of cancer, and it seems that all you care about is you.

How about some compassion?

How do you think your BF might feel? She's dying and he's torn between love and hate - no wonder he's feeling confused, mean and acting badly.

Cut the poor guy some slack - this is what real relationships are about - pulling back and being compassionate when our partners are going through a hard time.

It's actually not about you - exercise some restraint and tolerance and give him the support and space to feel what he needs to. This is a difficult time for him and he needs your support, not your demands and criticism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend's mother [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend's mother is an absolute dragon. She totally despies me. She always finds something to criticize me about. She says stuff like I eat too much, although I only weigh 55 kg and am 22 years old.. The one time I played with my b/f and pinched his butt and then she whispered to him that only...

Boyfriend's Mother [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend's father passed away this last January. His mother has been spending her time coping (they were married almost 50 years), and has been getting ready to sell her 1.5 million dollar home for a smaller more manageable place. I have been there right along with my boyfriend helping her...

Apology to boyfriend's mother [ 2 Answers ]

OK here's my problem. Last night me and my boyfriend got in a big fight at his house. I tried to leave but he grabbed my shirt and I was screaming for him to let me go. He did not hurt me and we are still together but I know I disrespected his mom and I think she lost respect for me, I am going to...

Boyfriend's Mother is Dying of Cancer [ 3 Answers ]

I was just looking for some advice. My boyfriend of 2 years mother was diagnosed with cancer last month. She has had several surgeries this month, but and things have not been looking good. We were told today that the doctor said they will make her comfortable, but that she will not recover from...

View more questions Search