Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 01:02 PM

A visit to the vet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 13, 2009, 02:04 PM

I agree Sariss, had to spread the rep.

If you can't get to the vet right away then try pedialyte. This will keep your dog hydrated until you get in to see the vet.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 06:20 PM

Make some low sodium broth. I have used Gatorade. But Pedialyte works the best like our resident canine whisperer Alty says.

How long has this been going on? Does the dog eat? Is it lethargic?

Are you planning to take it to the Vet?
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Dec 13, 2009, 08:39 PM

You can also make ice cubes with Pedialyte or the low sodium broth. My dogs can't resist ice. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2009, 10:43 PM

Have you tried running water?
    I know of a few dogs that are reluctant to drink from a bowl but love running water, you can even buy special dog bowls that keep the water moving.

And of coarse the above suggestions are also great, pedialyte for rehydration, ice cubes to encourage him to even get a small amount, adding flavour can work too.

All this is only until you can get him to a vet though ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much gravol should I give my 7 pound dog? [ 1 Answers ]

Its really short notice but I am flying my puppy for a 8 hour flight tomorrow. She is 7 pounds. I was wondering if a quarter of a round pill dose of gravol would be a lot for her?

My Lab won't drink water from a dish ! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old black lab, and we are having so much trouble with him not drinking water from his dish. He is an outside dog and we fill his water dish in the morning before leaving for work but when we get home he has not even touched it... He loves to drink from the hose and we try to give...

My dog won't drink water [ 5 Answers ]

Help! My dog hasn't drank on her own for 2 weeks. I trick her into drinking a little when I pour a little milk on it but now this isn't working. We have her on wet food to get a little moisture but I'm worried. The vet did all kinds of blood work and everything is normal. She has an allergy to...

Won't drink water at all [ 6 Answers ]

My dog had been throwing up. I have got that under control but now he won't drink any water. Usually that is all he does. I have tried ice cubes in and out of the water, flavored water, juice, pedialyte, the only thing he will do is eat popsicles. He is on the boiled chicken and rice diet. I am...

My dog won't drink his water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toy poodle that's 6yrs old, he was throwing up , he would drink his water but he couldn't keep it down. Took him to his vet they gave him meds, he's back eating his food but I can't get him to drink on his own, been giving him water with a eye dropper lookig thing.His vet is out of town,...

View more questions Search