Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FRISP Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Connecting over NETGEAR USB
    I need to right click and repair the connection every time I try connecting to the internet after that its OK.

Any ideas why it won't connect automatically when I switch the PC on.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2009, 10:07 AM

Just for a little experiment, try setting your computer's IP to static.

Dec 15, 2009, 11:02 AM

How do I do that
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2009, 11:23 AM

Which OS is it?

If its XP, then you right click on your icon that you usually go to repair, and instead click "Open Network Connections."

Then you right click the "Local Area Connection" icon and go to properties. In the list there, you will see a property called TCP/IP, click that and then click properties below the list.

You can predefine your IP settings there. Open up the command prompt, and type "ipconfig" without the quotes.

Go back to your Local Area Connections box and click "Use the following IP address:" and "Use the following DSN server addresses:"

Copy the ip address listed in the command prompt to the box for "IP Address:" in Local Area Connections.

Subnet mask should automatically fill in once you click on it.

Copy the Default Gateway address from the command prompt to both the "Default Gateway:" and the "Preffered DNS Server:" boxes in Local Area Connection.

If you like you can use a public DNS address in the second "Alternate DNS server:" box, like 4.2.2.1.

Click "Ok"
    Click "Ok"

Try to reboot and see if you have any problems.

Dec 15, 2009, 11:33 AM

It also has trouble renewing IP addresses now
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2009, 11:38 AM

All right, go back to automatic configuration. If you are too far away from the router, it could have trouble, or if your router overheats it may loose wireless. What model router do you have?

Secondly, try unplugging the router for ten seconds and then turning it back on. That may or may not help.

Dec 19, 2009, 12:05 AM

It's a Netgear dg843g 54 M router.

All the other wireless connections from laptops work with it. Its just this Netgear wireless usb connection, which works with other computers.

The only problem I have is with this deck top in the lads room.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 03:25 PM
    What OS do you have on the desktop?

Dec 20, 2009, 12:26 AM

XP, thanks for sticking with this
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 07:26 AM

Ok, it could be a driver problem. Once you get it working, right click "My Computer" and select "Properties."

Go to "Hardware" and Click "Device Manager"

When the new window pops up, see if there are any listings with a yellow icon next to it or some sort or error.

If not, scroll down to "Network Adapters" and click it so that it expands. Right click on your USB adapter and click update driver. Just click next, next, OK, finish, whatever until it is done. You will get a message when it has finished saying it has updated the driver, or could not find a better version.

Also, now that I think about it, there may be no solution. A lot of times, USB drivers can be the last thing to load. This could be a problem when the computer expects a network connection before the computer even finishes starting up. It screws up.

After all of those I have one "Fix" that may work for you.

Open notepad and paste the following lines into it:

Ipconfig /release
    Ipconfig /flushdns
    Ipconfig /renew

Then save it. Save it as ip.bat in C:\

Change the box below where you type in the name of the file to "All Files"

Then press save.

When you're done, exit out of notepad, and go to the C drive. Right click on ip.bat and click "Send To > Desktop (Create Shortcut)" Exit out of that window.

On your desktop you should have a "Shortcut to ip.bat" icon. Right click it and select Cut.

Go into your start menu, programs, right click "Startup" and select open. Right click white space in the new window and select paste. The icon should be moved from the desktop to the startup folder.

Reboot and see if that helps.

Dec 24, 2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks that .bat has done the job

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recovering data from faulty USB [ 2 Answers ]

My USB Pen drive is damaged. Now the device is not detected by the computer. Is there any way to recover the data from the USB ?

Netgear Router Not Connecting to Internet Properly [ 2 Answers ]

I have have this netgear mr814 router for 3 1/2 years. I have used this in 3 different locations. When I set it up at its current location, it's causing problems. When working wirelessly, each time I try to log on to a website, I get an error message to the effect "... can't find server". When...

Netgear DG834gt [ 1 Answers ]

Having recently purchased a Netgear DG834GT/GTB firewall router, I cannot access the router 192.168.0.1 as many other people can't either. Any other solutions??

Netgear WGR614v5 [ 12 Answers ]

Why do I need to be connected to my net gear WGR614v5 wireless router with my internet cable, when I'm not connected to the router and try to search for wireless networks in range the computer tells me that windows cannot configure the wireless because of the programmes being run, this has only...

Netgear problems [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a router and for various reasons I had to tweak it, but, since I haven't logged in in so long, I forgot where I put the password, and had to reset the router - thinking it would be no problem just to reset the controls to the way I want them, since I knew the default password and all...

View more questions Search