Best recipe for deer jerky
    Just wanting to know what the best recipe for deer jerky is
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 05:09 PM

I think these are the simplest instructions and recipe from E.How.com:

How To
    How to Cook Deer Jerky

Many people love deer jerky, but don't know how to make it. It's a lot easier to make deer jerky than you think, the hardest part is waiting for it to be done. Deer jerky is a healthy snack, and you can customize the flavorings to suit your preferences. Here's how to cook deer jerky

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
    Instructions
    Things You'll Need:

* Deer meat
    * Sharp knife
    * Cutting board
    * Large bowl
    * Worchestershire sauce
    * Few dashes garlic powder
    * Dash cayenne pepper
    * Oven
    * Drying racks OR toothpics
    * Wooden spoon
    * Aluminum foil

Step 1

The first rule in making deer jerky is to start with about twice the amount of meat than you will want when cooked. Deer meat will shrink significantly when making deer jerky. Let's start with a deer roast or hindquarter for this deer jerky recipe. Using a large very sharp knife, or a meat slicer if you have access to one, slice pieces of deer meat about a half inch thick, then slice those pieces until you have two inch wide strips. If you are having trouble with slicing, leaving the meat in the freezer for about a half hour or so can help keep it stable enough to get even slices. Keep in mind, these slices are almost twice the size your finished deer jerky will be. Leave the slices as long as you like, a great size would be 1/2 inch thick, by 2 inches wide, and about 7 inches long. Shorter or thinner pieces are fine, too.
    Step 2

Place all strips of deer meat into large bowl or large ziploc bag. Cover deer meat with worchestershire sauce, add a few dashes of garlic powder and a dash or two of cayenne pepper. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate deer meat and marinade for one to two hours. Stir deer meat occasionally while marinating to ensure even coverage of marinade. You do not want to marinade deer meat any longer than that, as too much will soak into the meat and make it too soft and mushy. Deer meat is very lean, marinades will soak into the deer meat much faster than beef or pork.
    Step 3

If you don't have racks designed for making jerky, you can use the regular racks in your oven. Line the bottom of your oven with aluminum foil. Pour marinade out, and dab deer meat dry. Line up evenly on racks, leaving about a half inch in between deer jerky slices so air can circulate. Place inside oven, and turn oven on lowest heat setting you have, probably 150 - 200 degrees. Prop oven door slightly open with wooden spoon, just place the handle in the side of the door so that the door is open about an inch to let the moisture out as your deer jerky cooks.
    Step 4

The amount of time it will take for your deer jerky to cook will vary wildly, it could be done in as little as two hours, or it may take all night. Check your deer jerky after two hours, then about every half hour afterward. You will be able to tell when your deer jerky is done, as it will turn a much darker color, a very dark brown. Store your deer jerky in an airtight container, and enjoy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 05:55 PM

And you can ship a small package to our church address.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 06:42 PM

Hello Dustin:

Awww... Don't shoot Bambi.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 06:50 PM

I would make beef jerky using A-1 steak sauce, Worchester sauce, and some good BBQ sauce, salt and pepper. It would come out great. Had to fight off everyone though to eat some. I did find that cutting the meat in larger thinner strips made it better.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 06:51 PM

Depends on where you live I guess, when Bambi's dad gets shot, though the trees, around here what you hear is "darn good shoot" not awwww or tears.
    And I bet most in GA could tell you how many point buck he was.

They even have bill boards for liquor, it shows a baby deer and a grown buck and their bottle, with the saying, most things get better with age.
    Dustin2239 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks everyone I will try the recipes out and just my opinion but the deer in Ill are way over populated and people been hitting them with the cars a lot we need to thin them out.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2239 View Post
    Thanks everyone I will try the recipes out and just my opinion but the deer in Ill are way over populated and people been hitting them with the cars alot we need to thin them out.
    Yes, they have to cull them in Northern Ontario as well. They do make mess of the trees (they eat the bark) when they get too many.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jerky dvd playback in dvd player on TV [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been trying to burn dvd's using the files on my computer so I can play them in the dvd player attached to the TV. Every time I make a dvd it plays OK on the PC but when its in the dvd player the audio and video are out of sync and are jerky. The burning software is Nero 8 and I...

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

Jerky DVD Playback [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been using Nero Vision Express to burn all my DVD’s. I find that when I play the DVD back it is slightly jerky. The original files that I am burning from are perfectly smooth so why does this happen when I put them on to DVD? Is it something to do with the encoding stage? ...

View more questions Search