Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    k-madd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Do you have to file taxes on disableity
    Do I have to file taxes on disability and child support
    Rhiannnonn Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Dec 12, 2009, 03:46 PM

As far as I understand things, it depends on how much you have as income. When I get my W-2 at the end of the year for disability, it always says "If your income is below $----, you do not have to file income tax." Since that is all of my income, I haven't filed.

However, if you have more or itemized details, you would at least want to talk to an accountant or tax preparer.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 09:54 PM

Child support is not income.
    Disability payments may be considered income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
    Disability income may or may not be taxable. It depends on the sourcing.

Disability from Social Security is normally NOT taxable.

Disability from your JOB IS taxable income because your employer paid the disability premiums.

Disability from a private disability insurance policy is NOT taxable to you because YOU paid the premiums out of pocket.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I still file my taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

My state W2 has some blank lines on it. But it has the deduction total for the state. Can I still file them like that?

How to file a 1099 self employed taxes and taxes in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone . I had a few tax related questions . My husband is pretty much self employed , he is a permanent resident of the united states etc. we live in Georgia . We wanted to know how do we file a self employed tax paper and how do we figure the precentages we are a family of 4 . With 2...

On H1 and Opt ?How to file Taxes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyOne. I recently graduated from college and I was on OPT for a brief period. From may 14th 2007 to oct 1 2007(it ends on may 15th 2008). I got my H1 on Oct 1 2007 (start date ). I have made 25000 dollars ,after Oct 1st, I have not made any money on opt but I was a GA and made 5450$...

I did not file my taxes but had taxes taken out of my check [ 14 Answers ]

I'm kind of worried here... I don't know why I didn't, but it is what it is. I just didn't file my taxes for 2005 and 2006. I also worked for a company in 2004 that paid me in personal buisiness checks that I would cash at citibanks, etc. but they never had me fill out any paperwork and never...

Need help to file my taxes on OPT to H1 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I came to US on jan 2004 as F1.dec 2005 to dec 2006 OPT . Dec1st 2006 H1 1. CPT started: Aug 2005 to Nov 2005 Worked on CPT in internship from Aug 2005 to Jan 2006 Here my OPT started on Dec 10th 2005 (I continued this job in my OPT for 2 months dec05 & Jan 06)

View more questions Search