Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsa Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 06:30 PM
    power supply question about new vid card
    OK, I have read quite a bit of info today and I am getting conflicting opinions.

I just bought a new EVGA GeForce 7600 GS 256MB 8X AGP vid card. I didn't notice the small print on the side of the box that says it requires a 400 watt power supply until I got it home. I have a 300 watt power supply.

I was looking up power supplies and found info pages that said I need the 400 watts to run the video card and others that said that if I don't have a bunch of extras plugged into the power supply I actually only need enough power to run what I have.

Do I need to buy a new power supply to run my new video card and system?

Here are my system specs:

Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
    MidATX Case
    Bestec 300 12E REV-D 300watt. Power Supply
    K7MNF-64 PCB 1.x 400MHz FSB USB2.0 8XAGP
    Nforce2Chipset 400MHz FSB
    AMD Sempron 3000+ ~2000MHz 512L2cache 333MHz
    Samsung 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz RAM (2 x 512MB)
    Maxtor 80Gig 7200rpm HDD (16MB cache)

(Old video card - Chaintech NVidia FX 5700 LE 256MB DDR 8X AGP)
    New video card - EVGA GeForce 7600 GS 256MB DDR2 8X AGP

NForce2 Audio Chipset (Useing Sony HiFi Sterio Headphones With Mic)
    DVDR-RW Double Layer 8.5Gig
    DVD-ROM
    8 in1 Digital Media Manager
    Logitech USB 2.0 3 Button Optical Wheel Mouse
    Standard 104 key Intrnet Keyboard
    Logitech USB 2.0 WebCam
    17"CRT Anti Glair TrueFlatScreen Monitor
    Cable Internet 4000kbps-down/384kbps-up (Running at 4550down/425up)
    Linksys Network Everywhere Cable/DSL 4 port router NR041
    (Shared via Home Network) Lexmark p3150 PrintTrio Printer/Scanner/Copier/Digital Card Reader (with it's own power source)

So do I actually need to buy a new 400 watt power supply?

Also just out of curiosity if the 400 watt power supply is recommended or needed what would happen if I ran the 7600 GS on a 300 watt power supply anyway?

Thanks for any help.
    mrdjames Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa
    OK, I have read quite a bit of info today and I am getting conflicting opinions.

I just bought a new EVGA GeForce 7600 GS 256MB 8X AGP vid card. I didn't notice the small print on the side of the box that says it requires a 400 watt power supply untill I got it home. I have a 300 watt power supply.

I was looking up power supplies and found info pages that said I need the 400 watts to run the video card and others that said that if I don't have a bunch of extras plugged into the power supply I actually only need enough power to run what I have.

Do I need to buy a new power supply to run my new video card and system?

Here are my system specs:

Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
    MidATX Case
    Bestec 300 12E REV-D 300watt. Power Supply
    K7MNF-64 PCB 1.x 400MHz FSB USB2.0 8XAGP
    Nforce2Chipset 400MHz FSB
    AMD Sempron 3000+ ~2000MHz 512L2cache 333MHz
    Samsung 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz RAM (2 x 512MB)
    Maxtor 80Gig 7200rpm HDD (16MB cache)

(Old video card - Chaintech NVidia FX 5700 LE 256MB DDR 8X AGP)
    New video card - EVGA GeForce 7600 GS 256MB DDR2 8X AGP

NForce2 Audio Chipset (Useing Sony HiFi Sterio Headphones With Mic)
    DVDR-RW Double Layer 8.5Gig
    DVD-ROM
    8 in1 Digital Media Manager
    Logitech USB 2.0 3 Button Optical Wheel Mouse
    Standard 104 key Intrnet Keyboard
    Logitech USB 2.0 WebCam
    17"CRT Anti Glair TrueFlatScreen Monitor
    Cable Internet 4000kbps-down/384kbps-up (Running at 4550down/425up)
    Linksys Network Everywhere Cable/DSL 4 port router NR041
    (Shared via Home Network) Lexmark p3150 PrintTrio Printer/Scanner/Copier/Digital Card Reader (with it's own power source)

So do I actually need to buy a new 400 watt power supply?

Also just out of curiosity if the 400 watt power supply is recomended or needed what would happen if I ran the 7600 GS on a 300 watt power supply anyway?

Thanks for any help.
    You could run it, but Windows XP will give you notification that the video card is not receiving enough power and is running with decreased performance.
    jsa Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdjames
    You could run it, but Windows XP will give you notification that the video card is not receiving enough power and is running with decreased performance.
    I see. So I should just be paitent and wait until tomorrow when I can go back out and get a 400 watt power supply?

One more thing I thought of. A 400 watt power supply isn't going to require I change any settings in BIOS or possibly fry something because my system being built with a 300 watt power supplt is it?

Thanks again.
    gamer Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 08:49 PM
    No you will be fine the more power the better as far as vid cards and performance, also memory, I would go with a 480

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom power supply [ 6 Answers ]

Have a two story townhouse with two and 1/2 baths. Have been trying to find a way to track the power source for the bathroom outlets. Each bath has an outlet but there is no power at this time. Used to work. Have tried opening switchplates and tracking the jumper wires to outlets, but none seem to...

Power supply deal for $10.. no joke [ 1 Answers ]

Radio shack has a 350 watt Ultra supply for $30 online only... then a mail in rebate for $20... total cost is $10... sweet price and decent power supply Thought id pass on the good news for anyone looking for a PSU Sale ends 6/25...

Power supply replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bad 250 watt power supply in a dell dimension 4600. Can I replace it with a 350 watt PS?

Need help w/ vid card - 640x480 8 bit! [ 2 Answers ]

I think the problem is with my video card but it COULD be something to do with my monitor. I have Windows XP. My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700. Ever since I reformatted my computer, I haven't been able to get my video card working. When I install the video card using my "3D Graphic...

Computer Power Supply [ 9 Answers ]

Hey peepz! I recently noticed that ma new computer overheats often, which is starting to worry me slightly :eek: . I was told that it could be the power supply unit which is 250V. I have the following specs... 3400+ 64 AMD Processor MicroStar MSI MS-6741 uATX Motherboard 1024MB RAM ATI...

View more questions Search