Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortydog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 07:36 AM
    How to get licensed bonded and insured
    I want to start a home cleaning service.How do I make it legal and protect myself?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 08:03 AM

This information is from eesortment.com on ground rules for starting a home cleaning business:

The first thing that you need to do before seeking out your clientele is to develop a business plan and policy. For starters, you need a name. Choose a name that denotes an air of sophistication. You don't want a name like, Sally's Cleaning Service or A-1 Cleaners. Those names are a dime a dozen and do not reflect any sort of professionalism. Try something like, Homestead Helpers. Such a name stands out from the many fly-by-night and unreliable services. Once you've chosen a name for your business, the next important step to take is to insure your business. As a house cleaner you are a sole-proprietor. This entitles you to the status of an independent contractor. This means that your profession is no different than that of a plumber, electrician, or a freelance writer.

Insurance is a must have. For one, it eases the minds of your future clientele. Think of yourself --would you want an uninsured person coming into your home, handling your personal articles, and perhaps doing so while unattended in your home? Probably not. Having insurance will put you on top of the list for jobs, as most house cleaners do not carry insurance. The insurance will also give you piece of mind. You will not have to worry about your personal assets being seized in a lawsuit because someone accused you of stealing a family heirloom. Unfortunately, as with many service professions, dishonest people have tarnished the respectability of independent contractors, so you'll want to cover yourself. Liability insurance (for damage that you are accused of) is very inexpensive. Just about any insurance agency offers liability insurance to contractors. Depending on where you live, the cost is usually less than $300.00 a year.

Once you've got your insurance policy, the next thing to do is to get a copy of your background check and police record; and, hopefully you won't have one. Depending on which state you live in, you can pick up the application at the State Trooper Barracks, City Hall or the Police Station. This is a simple form that takes less than 5 minutes to fill out. The fee is generally between $3 and $15.00. You mail it in, and within 2 weeks the form is mailed back to you with an official stamp which states "No record." Make photocopies of this form, as you'll need to give this to prospective clientele with your information packet. The information packet is the next step, and it is what makes your business professional.

Tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Hi, shortydog!

How much experience have you actually had cleaning for others in order to make a profit for yourself, please?

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 04:41 PM

As I mentioned, the business plan is almost vital to the success of any business. It is a 'TO DO' list but also a 'TO BE' list.

After you receive the information that you asked for here, possibly you should enter terms such as 'janitorial', 'cleaning', etc into the SEARCH button on top of your thread. I think that yo will find an immense amount of inofrmation that could help you.

One question I would ask myself is ' what am I offering that is unique from all the hundreds/thousands of other cleaning companies that are my competition?'

Sorry, I know this is kind of putting the cart before the horse so to speak, but I was just on a roll at the moment... :o

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to: get bonded, licensed, insured [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking to start a new business and am not sure how to get licensed, bonded, and insured. Can anyone direct me in the right area?

Being Licensed/Bonded/and Insured [ 4 Answers ]

How Do I get Licensed/Bonded/Insured And what will it cost

How to get Licensed, Insured and Bonded? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm considering a dog walking/sitting service - as a small business of my own. I need some information on getting Licensed, Insured and Bonded. Do you have any information on this subject? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, Amy

Licensed bonded and insured [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my cleaning company Licensed bonded and insured . Thanks

Licensed bonded and insured [ 2 Answers ]

If I were to get a license from my city hall, do I need to get a license for each city I work in or just the city where my business is located?

View more questions Search