Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ozzie1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 04:27 AM
    Why won't my puppy eat
    We just brought our new toy schnauzer home (yesterday). He is 6 weeks old. He doesn't want to eat or drink. When should I be worried and should I syringe feed him? He only weighs 1 lb. 2 oz.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2009, 04:35 AM

Has he been checked out by a vet,for worms etc?

It does take a little while for pups to settle,6 weeks seems young to be away from the mother,although it not unheard of..

With such a small dog,I would be inclined to seek the advice of a vet,as I would fear he would become dehydrated.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 04:53 AM

I'm with red, 6 weeks is unfortunately the normal time for backyard breeder to sell puppies. Good breeders don't let the pups go until they are between 8 and 12 weeks.

Ok so he's 6 weeks old and you got him yesterday... let me put it this way.

You are nice and comfy at home with your whole family when all of a sudden these giants come and take you away to a strange place.
    Would you be scared? Wary? Stressed?
    That's how the pup feels.

Get him some puppy milk from the pet store so he is at least getting some nutrition and liquid and just give him a day or 2 to settle in.

Dec 12, 2009, 07:53 AM

He has sen a vet and was given an OK for health and first shots. I am headed to the store for some pet milk. Thanks for both of your replies.
    Thaks
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 07:55 AM

Come back and let us know how he goes once he's settled in :)

Dec 12, 2009, 02:40 PM

He is taking the pet milk with gusto, he is urinating and playful. I'll rest easier tonight. Thanks so much for your help. We lost our Yorkie to stomach cancer a few months ago and I was very anxious about Ozzie last night. I'll let you know how he grows.
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 08:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, it's always hard losing a friend.
    If he is drinking puppy milk then he should be fine, just slowly introduce solid food by mushing them up in the milk, that should encourage him to eat better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy Mill Schnauzer Puppy won't walk with a leash. [ 5 Answers ]

We just received a 6 month old Schnauzer from a puppy mill. The dog doesn't mind wearing a collar and leash, but when I get ready to lead him somewhere, he refuses to move. I have dragged him 100ft. At a time and he never gave in. I have to carry him anywhere I want him to go. He seems to have...

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Puppy pining after death of puppy sister [ 1 Answers ]

In November I adopted two no determined breed puppies who were about 9 weeks old. Although they did not look alike, my feeling was they were siblings. WE have had several power outages in our area and despite having two gates barring my property the puppies were able to get out and sadly the...

Puppy alone in crate or left with another puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a puppy from a neighbor who moved. He is a 2mth Caring Terrier/Chichuaua mix. My other neighbor took his brother. My neighbor doesn't want her puppy to be alone during the day and wants him to stay in the crate with mine while we are at work. I don't think this is a good idea because he...

View more questions Search