Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BodyObsessed Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 09:54 PM
    I wonder if I can see the Geminids from here
    I live at 27° 22' S, 70° 20' W approximately. Late at night, I can see Gemini all right. I can see the whole constellation, under Orion (well here in the Southern hemisphere we see constellations upside down, so Orion and Gemini are upside down).

I read that you *can* see the Geminids from the Southern hemisphere, and I've seen some (like 3 in 5 minutes). However, I read that you can't see them as nicely as if you were in the Northern Hemisphere.

So, do you think I'll still be able to see a good show on this 14th's dawn?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 06:58 AM

Yes - if you have clear skies you should be able to see the meteor shower just fine, even in Chile. One point of clarification: you really don't need to be able to see the constellation Gemini itself. You will see meteors that streak across all portions of the sky. It's called the "Geminids" because if you trace the lines of the meteor trails backward they will seem to have emanated from the region of Gemini. As for whether the viewing is better in the northern hemisphere - I suppose it may be because we are in winter (well, almost), and so the sky is darker longer this time of year than it is in the southern hemisphere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search