Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    britecreek1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Empire furnace pilot goes out when increase thermostat temp
    Have Empire Model DV-25-2SG propane direct vent furnace. Pilot lights and stays lit when knob turned to ON. However, when raise thermostat temp from Off the main burner appears to light for an instant and then goes out as does the pilot. Help. It's colld up here in the mountains. This unit is only several years old with few hours of use.
    I changed the thermocouple but the problem persists.
    @C/m@n Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 07:56 PM

Replace the thermocouple that should do it, they get weak. Do you use it a lot?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 10:09 PM
    I believe your unit has a milivolt/pilot generator as well as a thermocouple. If the pilot generator is present and is not supplying milivoltage for the system to operate then it will shut down.

Usually a milivolt Generator has two wires.

Here is the manual for your furnace. SEE page 15 for your thermopile/pilot generator/milivolt generator. These items are called different things by different companys/manufactures.

Your manual save a copy for future reference.

http://www.obata.com/clients/Empire/...V-2535-2SG.pdf
    Attached Images

Dec 12, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Many thanks for your response. I replaced the thermocouple but the problem persists.
    I could see nothing in the manual except the pilot thermocouple I replaced.
    What do you recommend I do next?
    Is there an adjustment for the voltage if I measure it for the values indicated in
    the manual.
    Again, your help is much appreciated.

Dec 12, 2009, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by @C/m@n View Post
    Replace the thermocouple that should do it, they get weak. do you use it alot?
    I replaced the thermocouple but the problem persists.\
    What do You suggest I do next?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 03:31 PM

Try taking the thermostat off the wall and jumping the two wires at stat together, let me know if funace burner comes on and stays on. If you have a millivolt system, you need a special millivolt thermostat or the thermostat can rob enough power causing your problem. Can you post a clear picture of your gas valve and wires connections on gas vavle, this will help us trouble shoot the system.

Dec 13, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Hi,
    I did as you suggested. When I crosses the stat wires the result was the same as before. The main burner flared up for a moment and then it and the pilot went out.
    The thermostat came with the unit so should be correct. It did, in fact, work OK last season.
    Believe I mentioned I have replaced the thermocouple.
    I have pictures as you requested but don't know if I can figure out how to send them as an attachment or whatever.
    Clark

Dec 13, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    try taking the thermostat off the wall and jumping the two wires at stat together, let me know if funace burner comes on and stays on. If you have a millivolt system, you need a special millivolt thermostat or the thermostat can rob enough power causing your problem. Can you post a clear picture of your gas valve and wires connections on gas vavle, this will help us trouble shoot the system.
    Hi,
    I did as you suggested. When I crosses the stat wires the result was the same as before. The main burner flared up for a moment and then it and the pilot went out.
    The thermostat came with the unit so should be correct. It did, in fact, work OK last season.
    Believe I mentioned I have replaced the thermocouple.
    I have pictures as you requested but don't know if I can figure out how to send them as an attachment or whatever.
    Clark
    Rate this Answer Reply With Quote
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2009, 10:32 PM

Can you post a pic of the thermopile/pilot area?

Dec 13, 2009, 11:29 PM
    The silver braided wire looks like the wire that is on a thermopile generator. I will look at the manual also. SEE page 11 in the instructions. It says you have a thermopile device in your unit. If it is weak it will not generate enough curent to activate and hold the gas valve on.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 04:14 PM

I'm seeing the red and white for the thermopile, but can't figure out where your thermostat wires are hooked up. Seems like the black wire on the bottom in last pic should be hooked to stat as well as another wire. Try jumping between top and bottom terminals on gas valve, it that doesn't work, try jumping between middle and bottom and let me know if it stays on then.(this is only temporary for the purpose of trouble shooting).

Dec 15, 2009, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    im seeing the red and white for the thermopile, but can't figure out where your thermostat wires are hooked up. seems like the black wire on the bottom in last pic should be hooked to stat as well as another wire. Try jumping bewteen top and bottom terminals on gas valve, it that doesnt work, try jumping between middle and bottom and let me know if it stays on then.(this is only temporary for the purpose of trouble shooting).
    When I crossed the terminals as you said, the main burner did not even "attempt" to light as it did when I crossed the stat wires. The pilot just went out with no response from the main burner. Sorry but the photo did not show the stat wires. They connect to the 2 outside terminals

Dec 15, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Did you replace the THERMOPILE and I do not mean the thermocouple you mentioned before? Did you dowmload the manual I posted for your unit?
    Did you check the wiring of your unit as shown in the manual?
    romcom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 01:40 PM
    You might have a short in your thermostat wiring.
    Boonedog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2012, 06:45 PM
    I have the same problem. Did you guys ever come up with a solution??
    glennjr15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2013, 10:30 PM
    I had similar problems, with the exception that the pilot stayed on, and did not respond to the thermostat. I thought that it might be the thermopile, but ended up being the thermostat. When I crossed the wires as the thermostat, the heater turned on. I swapped out the thermostat, and voilą... Thanks for the start guys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace heating but thermostat temp not rising [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is running and putting out heat. However, my thermostat temperature is not rising, so my furnace runs continuously. Does anyone know why this would be? Is my honeywell wall unit going bad on me? The thermostat is only about 2 years old and my quietside furnace is only about 2 years old....

Lighting Empire wall furnace pilot light [ 1 Answers ]

:o, Please help! I have accessed the inside of my Empire wall furnace & understand the instructions on the knob relating to startingg the pilot light. Have lit pilots of water heaters many times. My question simply is: Where is the place to place the match to get ignition? It refers...

Empire Floor Furnace pilot light will not stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

I have an empire floor furnace that the pilot light will not stay lit? Also, is there a location to buy replacement burners? Thanks you Von Mustion

Gas furnace will not shut off at thermostat temp [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Armstrong Ultra II gas furnace and a Lux 1000 thermostat. I had this same problem with another thermostat and I installed the Lux 1000 and it worked fine for about six weeks and now it is starting to do it again. It is an intermittent problem. Any thoughts?

Furnace not kicking on when temp drops below thermostat set temp [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a Beckett oil heat water on demand furnace that heats through baseboards. Since this past weekend the furnace hasn't been kicking on when the temperature drops below my set temp of 68 degrees. I have to go down to the furnace and simply touch the top of the reset box for it to kick on. ...

View more questions Search