Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HURT GRANDMA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 02:17 PM
    My daughter had her first child and now she is mean to me all the time why
    My daughter just had her first child and everything I do is wrong and she hurts my feeling all the time why
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 11, 2009, 02:27 PM

There could be a number of reasons your daughter is behaving differently.

Your daughter could be going through some sort of postpartum depression. Are there any other symptoms? Changes in appetite? Trouble sleeping? Lack of enthusiasm or pleasure? Feelings of sadness or worthlessness? Postpartum depression is a fairly common problem caused by changes in hormone levels.

Your daughter might also simply feel that you are stepping on her toes. Are you giving overt amounts of advice or criticizing any of her parenting? Some times loving grandmothers with good intentions don't realize how overbearing or hurtful they are being themselves with well meant advice or help. How has your behavior changed since the baby was born?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2009, 02:33 PM

Perhaps as silverfox said (above) she is a little tense and feeling some postpartum stress.

When I was a new Mom,I wanted to do things my way.When my Mom tried to tell me things to help,I felt that she didn't trust my judgment and my parenting skills and I also got a little touchy about it.

Tell her how you feel and let her know that you are only trying to help.
    In the future try to wait until she asks for advice before you give it.
    It's a hard time being a new Mom and sad to say we always take out our stresses on the ones we love.
    Bear with her,I am sure she will calm down as she gets more comfortable in her new role.
    HURT GRANDMA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 05:18 PM
    How do you respond to answers to answers
    I have not done anything but praise the way she is mothering her daughter, and she does not have post part depression - I let all of her inappropriate comments to me pass because I thought she might have hormone trouble but my grand daughter is 11 months old.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 05:23 PM
    Who is "she?" Your daughter, daughter-in-law, niece... etc.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 05:27 PM

So what is your question, your someone has a daughter and what is her problem.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 06:17 PM

No matter the cause, leave a person alone who has bad behavior.
    itried Posts: 249, Reputation: 108

Dec 11, 2009, 08:16 PM

Maybe she thinks that your praise is condescending and she doesn't really care what you think about her parenting skills anyway. More than likely, all the tricks and techniques you employed when raising her are irrelevant and outdated and don't apply to how she wants her daughter raised. How about you examine your behaviour and how your actions make her feel instead of wondering what is wrong with her.

Being a Grandmother may have been one of your aspirations in life but that your daughter is a GROWN human being who doesn't need your "praise" anymore. There comes a time when the old dynamic of mother-daughter that you once shared has run it's course. She's now a big girl who should be spoken to and treated as an adult. Her kids aren't an extension of you and your life, however it is that you see it being. Try relating to her as a person instead of as your daughter.

Just something for you to think about.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 08:19 PM
    To shed more light on the subject...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...hy-424215.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
    I've merged your two threads. Please use the Answer This Question options rather than start a new thread. As you can see starting a new thread without context causes confusion,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It's time my 15 year old daughter met her bio dad [ 4 Answers ]

It's time for my 15 year old to meet her bio dad. She has never known him and he has never seen her. I do not want to go into what all transpired 16 years ago, except to say that both of us were not very nice people when we drank alcohol. Daughter is having some behavioral problems currently. ...

I want time with my 4 year old daughter [ 34 Answers ]

My ex husband has temporary custody pending court ordered evaluations (mine are done). In Aug. of 2007, he had his policeman friend come to the door of my home. I had a few beers previously after I had put my 2 year old to bed in her crib. Being naïve, I let the officer into my home. Before the...

Filing child support for the first time after child is 18 yrs old [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and his ex have a 12 year old daughter, he has been paying the mother in cash for the whole time and has no proof of the payments. He is scared to make her mad fearing she may go and file back child support on him. He thinks he can make her happy until the child is 18 and have his...

My 5 year old daughter masturbates ALL THE TIME [ 36 Answers ]

My 5 year old has been doing this for about a year now. It use to be only at home, but now it's at school. She is in kindergarten and I have been called in to talk about the situation and have had several other phone calls from school saying that now she will not do her class work because she...

Meeting my 12 year old daughter for the first time. [ 2 Answers ]

I haven't seen my daughter since she was a year and a half old. What do I say and how do I go about it. I've missed seeing her so much. Especially since I have another daughter with another woman and watching her grow up has made me miss my first one more and more each day. I want to make things...

View more questions Search