Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duke1046 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Caping a toilet pipe
    I have a toilet that I want to remove and cap the pipe. When I removed the toilet the pipe

Which is metal or steel sticks up through the floor and has a bracket under the pipe to connect

To the toilet. The pipe flanges out a little. The only way I see to remove the pipe is to cut

It from below?

Tahnk you for your help.
    ALarkin Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by duke1046
    I have a toilet that I want to remove and cap the pipe. When I removed the toilet the pipe

which is metal or steel sticks up thru the floor and has a bracket under the pipe to connect

to the toilet. The pipe flanges out a little. The only way I see to remove the pipe is to cut

it from below?

Tahnk you for your help.
    Try posting the question in the plumbing forum (home > home & garden > plumbing). There's a veteran user/plumbing expert there (speedball1) who is usually very quick to answer new posts.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 13, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Hey Duke,
    Sounds like the pipe is cast iron. Break the cast iron flange out with a hammer and for the pipe that's sticking up take a adjustable end wrench and "nibble" the pipe down 1/4 inch at a time to below the floor line.
    Take it down far enough to floor over it. Now stuff rags or paper down 4 to 6 inches and fill the pipe up with cement. When the cement sets up you may floor over the pipe. May I suggest the next time you have a plumbing question that you post it on the plumbing page. It will get answered a lot sooner. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet drain pipe broken! [ 6 Answers ]

My husband removed a toilet today, it was leaking sewage on the floor and into the other room. When we pulled the toilet off, we knew why. The flange came with the toilet when we pulled it off along with some of the drain pipe. Clearly the pipe has been broken for some time. The flange was almost...

Extending pipe under toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently moved into a townhouse and wanted to fix it up a little by installing laminate floors in my bathroom. I currently have linoleum on my floors and figured that once I replaced the linoleum with the laminate it may shorten the pipe underneath of my toilet. Is it possible for me to...

PVC pipe leak from toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Help.. My wife and I bought our first house 5 months ago. We are not used to living in a home with 2 floors and a basement. So, the toilet on the upper floor started leaking a few drops a minute, so it is not serious yet:). The drops are forming on the elbow joint of the PVC pipe in the...

Setting a toilet on a crooked pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I am about to install a toilet in my basment. But the PVC waste pipe coming up through the concrete and subfloor is not perfectly level... it is cocked just a bit. Its not coming out at a 45-degree angle or anything... just slightly off perpendicular. I imagine (hope) that once I cement the...

Toilet Pipe Run [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. I'm installing a toilet/lav/shower in my basement. My question is... Can I sit the toilet flange directly on top of a 4" 90 degree closet bend PVC fitting? This fitting has only one hub, which will connect to a 4" PVC at 1/4" per foot over 3.5 feet and tie into a cast iron tee fitting on...

View more questions Search