Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FWS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 07:58 AM
    501c3 rules
    Under 501c3 - What are the guidelines for giving a monetary gift to a family in Financial Need? What if one of the family is a board member?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 08:10 PM

It could cuase the group to come under review. They would have to document that this family were as bad off , if not worst, than others, and they need to have good records of many , many other families that were helped.

If they help 10,000 families and then help one that is part of the group,that is one thing, if they only help 4 familis and then do one, that is a lot different.

The board member thierself could not be one of the people being helped
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    The board member thierself could not be one of the people being helped
    Right! This is a clear conflict of interest. Also, payments could be construed as compensation, and board members can not receive compensation (other than reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses). If this person receives money from the organization he must be removed from the board first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rules regulations for 501c3 organizations [ 7 Answers ]

Would a non profit organization (501c3) be in violation if, the organization participated in an internet travel business as a fundraiser, and at the same time, members of the same organization would also earn personal funds?

501c3 rules membership [ 1 Answers ]

Among our other work, our organization has an online news, information and analysis website that covers the education arena. We would like to launch a membership drive to raise funds to support that site. Are their any restrictions around using the term "membership" to raise funds; and are we...

Site:askmehelpdesk.com 501c3 rules [ 1 Answers ]

What portion of 501c3's income must be donated to charitable organizations?

501c3 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Rahfeki Brown the questioned I have is can I file my 501c3 on my own don't want to pay the 400.00 dollars to someone else if I can do it myself

View more questions Search