Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LarryMct Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 07:56 AM
    2x8 floor joist
    I have a new home and the floor joists are 2X8 and they are sistered and there is a bounce. There is hardwood on the floor when I'm sitting in a chair I can feel my 7 pound dog walk across the floor ( I can feel the vibration) Dosen't feel to strong Any suggestions
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Dec 11, 2009, 02:15 PM

How long is the span? How far apart are the joists? Are there any braces installed between the joists?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 05:20 AM
    I suggest you contact the local building department since they approved the drawings/plans and inspected your home for compliance with same. You can also obtain a copy of the drawings that were approved for a very nominal fee from the building department. Naturally I suggest you obtain the copy of the exact plans that were approved for your home since if the building inspector missed code compliance on the original plans or did not inspect your home properly once they find out the plans could get lost if you know what I mean. I have seen that happen before.
    grnegz Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 07:39 PM

2x8 are really not sufficient for floor joists. I think you're in trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain over floor joist [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new tub and wall unit and the new tubs drain lines up right over a floor joist. The old tub drain fit right down the side of the joist. There is about a 1.5" difference between the two tub drains. Any way to get around this without moving a floor joist?

Cut floor joist in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about floor joist. I had a contractor cut 2 inches out of the bottom of about 15 2x8 floor joist, to hide the electrical lines, instead of drilling holes through the middle of the joist. I would assume these would have to be sistered is that right or do have a major problem...

Floor joist [ 3 Answers ]

would sistering a 2x6 onto a old 2x6 be as strong as a 2x10 that should have been used? 24" on centers 14' span

Drilling 2 x 10 floor joist [ 1 Answers ]

how far from the end of a 2 x 10 floor are you allowed to drill a 2" hole

Floor joist sizing, [ 6 Answers ]

I have sistered on 2 x 8's to my existing attic floor. It originally was framed with 2 x 4's and then 2 x 6's were sistered along to them. All the 2 x's are resting on the top plate. It feels sturdy enough to lay subflooring onto, but it is a twenty foot span. Will this be adequate?

View more questions Search