Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DollyBead Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 04:10 AM
    Bad experience!
    I am working for an ethnic newspaper, and am currently writing an article on skin lightening. Yes I know it is an exhausted topic, but I am really getting down to the nitty gritty! I want to know your experiences. The good, the bad and the ugly. Did you have fantastic results with a certain product? How long did it last? Any bad experiences? What happened? What products would you avoid and why? What products do you swear by?

Regards,

Sarah

:)
    mobster Posts: 105, Reputation: 0

Dec 13, 2009, 04:48 AM

Lets just put it this way,
    It is always going to be framed negative,
    So I don't have no comment at all,
    But that is just me.
    BrownDeceit Posts: 366, Reputation: 24

Dec 13, 2009, 04:15 PM

I agree with mobster. No comment at all. Society always finds a way to spin things. And make it negative. NO-COMMENT-AT-ALL.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 10:01 PM
    Lol... ditto

Dec 14, 2009, 08:25 AM

Hey guys come on. I am not putting a spin on anything. It is entirely prejudice to tar everyone with the same brush. Believe it or not there are journalists out there who are trying to practise the trade ethically you know.
    And there are also girls out there who are totally un-educated about the threat that some of these creams pose, distributers completley unaware that what they are selling is dangerous, and people selling these creams for the sole purpose of making money despite what the consequences may be. Your help would have been appreciated, but alas. If you don't want to offer it then simply do not comment. Don't just comment for the sake of stereotyping.

Regards.
    Boricua1 Posts: 179, Reputation: 14

Dec 15, 2009, 08:54 AM

I would suggest just reading some of the posts in the site... as for seeking a.. "interview" of sorts from one of us... not going to fly... and BTW a good way to acquire info is by actually just observing... investigating.. thus inverstigative reporting...

I suspect you are s tudent journalist... I don't mean that in a bad way... but I suggest the best way to get your "Story" is by not making it a story... make it a journey... read peoples reasons for why they do something, present the topic from a neutral perspective by just addressing the process, products, and results.. leave out positive or negative ideations, experiences, opinions... this is what drives people into the shadows to buy black market creams and gets ones that may worked banned or not even considered..

Consider that there may be a more insidious plot to skin lightening controversy... lightening skin allows for social hierchies to become less distinguishable by race and color... those who are in a "superior" standing socially would pretty much avoid this at all costs.. thus why celebs manage to lighten safely.. so it is possible, safely... and regular old Joes and Janes cannot...

Did you consider that..

Maybe consider writing in article depicting skin lightening as just a cosmetic experience.. not some social ill or danger... express the safer ways to do so... look up truth about products.. best way.. Call a dermatologist or cosmetic plastic surgeon/aestetician (with your least ethnic sounding voice) and tell them you have severe sunspots, and hyper-pigmentation... you'll find out what safely works.. for a price to dramtically lighten skin then you can inform those poor "uneducated" girls.. and save then the threat...

If I sound a bit bitter it's because as a "free-lance" journalist/writer myself.. I would expect a bit more tact and objectivity from you... again why io assume you are a student or novice.. cause even a seasoned pro would have faked the Phunk a bit to get the inside scoop...

Excuse misspells.. I'm lazy right now.

Dec 15, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Boricua1 View Post
    I would suggest just reading some of the posts in the site... as for seeking a .. "interview" of sorts from one of us.... not gonna fly... and BTW a good way to aquire info is by actually just observing... investigating.. thus inverstigative reporting...

I suspect you are s tudent journalist... I don't mean that in a bad way... but I suggest the best way to get your "Story" is by not making it a story... make it a journey... read peoples reasons for why they do something, present the topic from a neutral perspective by just addressing the process, products, and results.. leave out positive or negative ideations, experiences, opinions... this is what drives people into the shadows to buy black market creams and gets ones that may worked banned or not even considered..

Consider that there may be a more insidious plot to skin lightening controversy... lightening skin allows for social hierchies to become less distinguishable by race and color... those who are in a "superior" standing socially would pretty much avoid this at all costs.. thus why celebs manage to lighten safely.. so it is possible, safely.... and regular old Joes and Janes cannot...

Did you consider that..

Maybe consider writing in article depicting skin lightening as just a cosmetic experience.. not some social ill or danger... express the safer ways to do so... look up truth about products.. best way.. Call a dermatologist or cosmetic plastic surgeon/aestetician (with your least ethnic sounding voice) and tell them you have severe sunspots, and hyper-pigmentation..... you'll find out what safely works.. for a price to dramtically lighten skin then you can inform those poor "uneducated" girls.. and save then the threat...

If I sound a bit bitter it's because as a "free-lance" journalist/writer myself.. I would expect a bit more tact and objectivity from you... again why io assume you are a student or novice.. cause even a seasoned pro would have faked the Phunk a bit to get the inside scoop...

No offense to you guys,

But I hate journalists, who lie their way into a society,
    I guess its part of the game, but honest interviews are much better

Dec 15, 2009, 07:10 PM

Ditto Mobster. Ditto. Journalists piss me offfffffff.

Dec 15, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mobster View Post
    No offense to you guys,

But i hate journalists, who lie their way into a society,
    I guess its part of the game, but honest interviews are much better
    You're right Mob, but what I was saying was that for her sake in order to get her info, she should have at least gotten and established a bit of trust or insider scope... now she's just stuck with people who are not willing to talk to her candidly... she gave no intro really, no intention, no purpose for why we should even want to talk to her... no ice breaker.. no warming.. most journalists would have either warmed up to the group and then asked for info, or at leaast lurked around gathering info... or something

Dec 16, 2009, 03:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Boricua1 View Post
    I would suggest just reading some of the posts in the site... as for seeking a .. "interview" of sorts from one of us.... not gonna fly... and BTW a good way to aquire info is by actually just observing... investigating.. thus inverstigative reporting...

Consider that there may be a more insidious plot to skin lightening controversy... lightening skin allows for social hierchies to become less distinguishable by race and color... those who are in a "superior" standing socially would pretty much avoid this at all costs.. thus why celebs manage to lighten safely.. so it is possible, safely.... and regular old Joes and Janes cannot...

Did you consider that..

Maybe consider writing in article depicting skin lightening as just a cosmetic experience.. not some social ill or danger... express the safer ways to do so... look up truth about products.. best way.. Call a dermatologist or cosmetic plastic surgeon/aestetician (with your least ethnic sounding voice) and tell them you have severe sunspots, and hyper-pigmentation..... you'll find out what safely works.. for a price to dramtically lighten skin then you can inform those poor "uneducated" girls.. and save then the threat...

You are wonderfully rude.

Not only am I not a student journalist, but I am not chasing a 'scoop'. I am writing an objective article which I mean to attain the information for by being honest. I have all of the research I need and have been working on this story for months. I have quotes from Trading Standards, the British Skin Foundation, Asian Celebrity contacts and the MHRA. Every person I have spoken to over the last month, Asian or not, has been asked their opinion on skin lightening. Why they think people do it. Do they do it themselves? I know which products are safe and which are not.

Next time you are trying to give advice to a 'student' journalist, which I applaud by the way because when I was a student I loved getting advice from other journalist, first try and make sure they actually are a student. If you can't do this, how about at least attempting not to be patronising.

As for treating skin lightening as a cosmetic experience... as an ethnic newspaper I don't think that we should be endorsing any kind of skin altering to the 'Janes and Joes' who, as you said, may not be able to afford more expensive creams. Also, I would not like to speculate or insinuate that social hierchies are using these creams to make themselves distinguishable by race when none of my research has lead me to believe that this is true.

Regards.
    gorgeouslady Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Dec 16, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DollyBead View Post

Not only am I not a student journalist, but I am not chasing a 'scoop'. I am writing an objective article which I mean to attain the information for by being honest. I have all of the research I need and have been working on this story for months. I have quotes from Trading Standards, the British Skin Foundation, Asian Celebrity contacts and the MHRA. Every person I have spoken to over the last month, Asian or not, has been asked their opinion on skin lightening. Why they think people do it. Do they do it themselves? I know which products are safe and which are not.

Next time you are trying to give advice to a 'student' journalist, which I applaud by the way because when I was a student I loved getting advice from other journalist, first try and make sure they actually are a student. If you can't do this, how about at least attempting not to be patronising.

As for treating skin lightening as a cosmetic experience... as an ethnic newspaper I dont think that we should be endorsing any kind of skin altering to the 'Janes and Joes' who, as you said, may not be able to afford more expensive creams. Also, I would not like to speculate or insinuate that social hierchies are using these creams to make themselves distinguishable by race when none of my research has lead me to believe that this is true.

Regards.

You just buried yourself lol

Dec 16, 2009, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DollyBead View Post

As for treating skin lightening as a cosmetic experience... as an ethnic newspaper I dont think that we should be endorsing any kind of skin altering to the 'Janes and Joes' who, as you said, may not be able to afford more expensive creams. Also, I would not like to speculate or insinuate that social hierchies are using these creams to make themselves distinguishable by race when none of my research has lead me to believe that this is true.

Regards.
    Good luck on getting your info.. :rolleyes:

Dec 16, 2009, 10:41 PM

I said student because novice mistakes such as just adding a "Catchy" title to your post, which by the way makes a less than "objective" statement are then considered excusable.. LOL..

Now you just seem like a clueless journalist possibly..

And when I speak of "Jane and Joes" it's most of us here too.. none of us are celebrity status, and not too mnay of us can afford the treatments and regimines available to celebrities..

Besides possibly being a syudent, the only other assupmtion I made was that you possessed some reading comprehension skills to understan the anaolgy..

Whoops my assumption was wrong.. and whether you like my tone or not, had you actually taken the advice, I actually gave you a good start on obtaining the info you seek, and possibly giving you a better and new insight and approach to your subjectively "Obejecive" article on skin lightening.. your approach is the played out approach..

Try something new.. the road less travelled and a perspective never taken.. but to each his own..

I figured a journalist would consider trying something new.. not just beating the same dead horse with the same stick...

But again I assumed you read it and understood it..

I should learn not to assume.. esp regarding another person's comprehension...

Dec 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
    I won't comment anymore on any of your posts nor will I open them.. so if you feel the need to comment.. It will not be for my sake or my eyes.. I don't care... "OBJECTIVE" to Sarah = "Tell me your bad experiences so i can report on the ills and dangers of skin lightening objectively.. "... and I'm patronizing...

Dec 17, 2009, 01:18 AM

Boricua. Thank you. You've just helped us see her true colors. Smh. It's so obvious, the way she thinks. This 'journalist' should learn how to check her temper. Because it's not helping her any. Smh.
    fairr Posts: 285, Reputation: 6

Dec 18, 2009, 12:58 PM

Lol this s funnny

Dec 23, 2009, 05:19 PM

Interview the sellers lol :-p
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 05:22 PM

Look on the site, there are so many topics about skin lightening results you could write a whole book on the subject.

Every person that's using products seems to open a thread about their results and asking what others results have been.

Why don't we try to keep it all on one thread instead of scattering thousands of threads on the same topic?

Each thread can go to 1500 posts, that's a lot of room to discuss.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mobster View Post
    interview the sellers lol :-p
    You're skating on thin ice. This is not a chat site. If you have nothing valuable to add then refrain from posting.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 07:04 PM

Well obvious you are not getting that help here, and of course not sure what good posts from sites like this are for real source for news, **8 we do have some good UFO stories going

Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone here have any experience? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experience with any good work at home online jobs. I don't want to work with a company that asks for any money at any point. :rolleyes: Let's face it, if I had the $ to send these companies for the software or whatever else, I wouldn't need the job. Besides, why should I...

Can I sue someone who gave me a bad check to cash [ 3 Answers ]

I cashed a check for a friend through my bank account. Both checks came back nsf and overdrafted my accounts. This happened in the middle of August this year and he still hasn't made any effort to repay me. When it happened I asked him about it and found out he had stolen checks but he swore that...

Anyone else have this experience. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, O.kay so first off I have a doctors appointment Tuesday the 15th, but I am anxious and wanted to know what someone else thought. I have two children 6 years and 14 months. My husband and I have been Trying to conceive our third and final child since July. The first day of my...

View more questions Search