Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cp1961 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Washing machine drainage in freezing temperatures
    I have a front load washer in my laundry room the drain hose runs to a pipe that is on an outside wall, that leads to the drain pipes. We have had temperatures in the low teens for the past 4 days. Tonight I decided to do a load of laundry, and the water will go into the washer, but it won't spin out or drain. Could ice in the drainpipe cause this?
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 11, 2009, 05:06 PM

Do you have a drain in that area, like a floor drain - or perhaps a laundry tub? (what location do you live in)

You would have had an over flow at the stand pipe if you had frozen water. You can check this by taking the hose out of the stand pipe and turning on the spin cycle (the part of which the water usually exits the washer) Just turn it on long enough to see if the water is actully draining as it should.

This can be also be a problem with the washer. Post back and keep us posted.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 05:09 PM
    It could be the washer or the drain pipe... depends on how things are hooked together... ;)

Remove the washing machine hose and pour warm water down the drain... if water flows then you will want to run the washer without the hose in place and see if the hose drains.

If you are frozen at this time then you may want to consider heating the inner wall using ahair dryer (to start). Here, if necessary, open a small hole in the wall close to the floor and then use a hair dryer to begin warming trhe inside of the wall cavity. Run the hair dryer periodically so you don't end up burning the dryer element out.

After a few shots at thawing the pipes you should try to run the washer again... use HOT water only here. You could also pour some very hot water (not boiling water) into the washing machine drain pipe. This combined with the hair dryer should get you up and running.

If it doesn't then you may need to open a larger hole in the wall and allow the warm air in the room warm the pipes up overnight.

Let us know how you make out or if you want to discuss this... O.K.?

MARK

cp1961 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Thank you for your assistance... I discovered the water wasn't draining well in the deep sink next to the washer. I ran hot water in it and broke up whatever ice was blocking that, then tried running the "drain and spin" cycle on the washer. It worked. I am going to try a regular load now... thank you again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine drainage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I brought a front load washer and decided to rearrange my lundry room in the basement. BEFORE, the old washer used to drain directly into the wash basin. They were side-by-side. NOW, the front load washer is 6 feet away from the basin. The drain hose does not reach the basin plus, it really...

Drainage for sink/washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, About 15 years ago, we moved our kitchen to a different part of the house. This involved moving gas, electrics, plumbing etc. However over the last 5 years (could have been longer!) we've noticed that the drainage for the sink and washing machine seems to be overflowing in the outside...

(another) Washing machine Drainage Problem. [ 4 Answers ]

The other day the washing machine drain overflowed all of a sudden. Thinking it is clogged for sure I have attempted to snake the drain with no luck. I can't seem to get the snake past the 90 degree (no trap) curve at the bottom of the standpipe. I next attempted a drain cleaning bladder which...

Washing Machine Drainage Problem [ 1 Answers ]

My KitchenAid washing machine wants to overflow out of the drainage pipe onto my floor when I do a load of laundry. I've tried putting drain declogger in the pipe. When I fill the washer with hot water to flush the declogger/clog out, the water flows out with no problem at all; however, when I do...

Washing machine drainage [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if you can drain directly outside, into say a garden bed, instead of into a drainage system. Such as a pipe that goes outside and down to the ground level and drains into the flowerbed.

View more questions Search