Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RWT Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 08:32 PM
    York stellar furnace parts control board
    Greetings; I have a York Stellar furnace that I am guessing to be about 20 years old. Lately it has been doing the following.

1. Thermostat requests heat.
    2. Blower starts up.
    2. Pilot light comes on,(Glows Yellow).
    3. After twenty seconds there is a click and then one of the following happens;
    40% of the time no blue flame, pilot light shuts off, blower runs.
    40% of the time burners light up but shut off after 20-30 seconds, blower runs.
    20% of the time burners light up and stay lit until reaching temperature set on the thermostat.

After doing some research, I removed and sanded the flame sensor. Still the same issues as above. I have blown into the blower diaphragm tube and there is not really any resistance so I'm assuming it is unobstructed. I have cleaned all filters and vacuumed what I could safely reach in the furnace control area.

As I said the problem is intermittent. If I throw the power switch for the furnace enough when the thermostat is requesting heat, eventually it will stay lit up. I usually then set the thermostat for some really warm temperature to carry the house through the night.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm starting to suspect the control board is faulty.

Cheers
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2009, 11:32 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ms-423853.html

See post #4; checking flame sensor

Dec 13, 2009, 07:02 PM

Thanks; I ran that test and it read 0 uA. Yet the furnace still occasionally runs. I would have assumed that if the flame sensor was shot that it would not allow any flame after a few seconds. I am finding now that even when I do get it to run for a longer time it always shuts down before reaching the temperature requested on the thermostat. So without ruling out the flame sensor as still being defective, what would be the next most likely culprit?

Cheers
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2009, 09:16 PM

Make sure the fuse isn't blown. Remember you have to use different jacks for current.

Grab a 9V battery and a 1.5 Megohm resistor in series to test your meter. That should read ~6 uA. R = 9/6e-6.

Get a few 1 meg resistors from Radio Shack. Put two in parallel and 1 in series with the parallel combination to test your meter.

There is electronics on the board and they could be defective.

It's best to check your meter reads correctly first.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 13, 2009, 10:16 PM
    Check the wires that connect the flame sensor. Loose or high impedance is a signal killer.

Sometimes cleaning the flame sensor does not work so the flame sensor could be defective also.

The next step could be expensive so the flame sensor is always first especially on a 20 year old furnace. While you are at it also check the grounds.

Dec 15, 2009, 07:47 PM

Thank you all for the advice but it was for naught. I had a technician come today and I explained what had been happening. I went upstairs and two minutes later he came up and said that three of the four heat exchanger ports (I think that's what he called them) were cracked and he had to red flag the furnace. I guess I need a new one. Merry Christmas indeed.

Thanks Again
    Cheers
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 07:53 PM
    Sorry to hear than. I did mention that the next step could be expensive. Get 3 estimates and follow the link below for a good job.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 146 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

York Stellar furnace blower problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 19 year old York Stellar furnace. Model P1UCD12N04601B 57,000 btu's. This unit was salvaged from a military housing complex that closed in 1990. The unit shows very little wear. All the parts look new. The unit sat no operational for nearly 16 years. I removed the unit from the house...

York Stellar Gas furnace issue [ 7 Answers ]

Hi have a York Stellar furnace and its about 15 years old, it was working fine suddenly it wouldn't lite up, seems like the motor is working fine but the piece that's lits up for the igniter does not lit up. Furnace is not blowing any air, no flames going on. Please help its cold out here.. ...

York Stellar Furnace Heating up Furnace Room to 110 Degress? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a York Stellar Furnace in my newly purchased house. Furnace is 15 years old. Furnace is releasing hot air from front grills and heats up furnace room to 110 Degrees. I had a Bryant Furnace in another house and this never happened. All plenams and ducts are taped and sealed so the heat is...

York Stellar LP furnace cycles quickly [ 1 Answers ]

After exhaust fan operates for 20 sec, ignitor glows for 15-20 sec, then gas comes on for 1 sec. then goes out instantly, ignitor stays on and gas ignites in another 20 sec. This cycle continues without interruption. Consequently, heat never comes on.

York Stellar gas furnace issue [ 1 Answers ]

My ten year old York gas furnace will run fine but intermittently it will not start back up again when the temperature drops. I replaced the thermostat to a Honeywell seven day programmable. That did not fix the problem. If I turn off the furnace at the furnace, wait about ten seconds, and turn it...

View more questions Search