Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Merylcat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 08:16 PM
    What's wrong with my cat?
    Hello. I have two cats--they are sister and brother, and both are have been spayed/neutered. We picked them up from our veteranarian. We treat both cats as kindly as we can, and the female cat seems to be fine. She is happy and is not afraid at all of people. I know that cats have different personalities, but the male cat is pretty much the opposite. He's sweet, but he acts like he has been abused or something! He flinches when touched, and won't let himself be picked up. And if there are any loud noises that startle him, he takes off in the opposite direction. Sometimes he'll take off just because somebody gets up out of a chair. He basically gets all spooky and paranoid for no reason that we can find. I want him to be happy, and so it is upsetting to see him behave like this! One other thing--he's not always like this. It seems to come and go. Somedays he will come right up to you and other times he just acts as described above. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And thank you in advance.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2009, 09:11 PM

Best bet would be to get a complete physical exam done on your cat to ensure there is nothing medically wrong with him.

Otherwise it may just be the way he is. You can try some anti anxiety things such as Feliway (ask your vet) that may help.
    frenchfry Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 09:30 AM

Some cats are just like that. I have a cat that haaates being touched! I have had as many as 8 cats at once fyi... so I do know what I'm talking about lol My cat Sam hates when you touch him. If I can catch him he'll tollerate me holding him for a bit if I'm standing up.. then he squirms away. He'll lay on me if he thinks I'm sleeping.. and if I go to touch him he leaves. Sometimes when cats get hyper they look like they're scared. If he runs around and hides.. its not always because he's scared. I have one cat Bug... who is scared of everything! He runs and hides with his ears back and tail down slinked down to the ground. Hes been like that for years... but when he's alone is as affectionate as ever. The female in your home may have dictated that she's the "alpha" in the home.. and that's why he's the way he is. If you see any health issues(dont forget they try and hide them from you) or dramatic behavior changes I'd take him to the vet.. otherwise it may be more traumatic for him to go there and find out there's nothing wrong. Hope this helped a little. :) FF
    juliallakin12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 08:03 PM
    Um, well if one cat gets too much attention from guests then the other cats gets jellous, and lashes out and becomes mad at all the guests! Make sure you pay A lot of attention to the other cat!

Your cat vet online,
    Susan Shepard

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat hair is everywhere! [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 adorable Maine coons. I brush them often, but they always seem to have matts in their hair. I try to cut out the matts but new ones appear just days later. I feel awfull because it must be painful. Also, they shed everywhere! Is there anyway I can stop the fur from matting, aside from a...

Baby Mama Drama & Was I Wrong, & Was My Boyfriend Wrong? [ 31 Answers ]

3 threads merged and edited baby mama drama, all messed up! Ok, Me and my boyfriend started going together on August 1st 2007, on September 27th 2007 the girl he dealt with before we got together called him and told him she was pregnant and that the baby might be his but she didn't know if...

I need some one to tell me what's wrong and if any thing is wrong [ 12 Answers ]

My Partner And Me Have Been Having Sex For A Year Already But For 3 Months He Has Done It With Out A Condom And I Have Not Gotten Pregnant And We Really Want To Be Parents. What Is Wrong?:(

Looking For children's Book 'The Fat Cat' [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to track down a children's picture book that I read as a child in the 80s. I can't remember the author, or specific title.. but it was something along the line of 'The Fat Cat' or 'The Hungry Cat'. I'm fairly sure it was published by penguin. The story followed the lines of a cat eating...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

View more questions Search