Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igob8a Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Finding concentration of Calcium ion
    Hi guys, I'm working on some questions for a chemistry report and I honestly have no clue how to do it
    Hopefully someone here can help

2a. In your notebook, write the dissociation equation for calcium hydroxide.
    2b. Write the equilibrium constant expression (Ksp) for this equation.
    2c. If the hydroxide ion concentration of a calcium hydroxide solution was found to be 0.004mol/L, what would be the concentration of the calcium ion?

I currently got
    2A. Ca(OH)2(s) ⇌ Ca2+(aq) + 2OH-(aq)
    2B. Ksp=6.5x10-6

But no clue with 2C... help would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2009, 08:13 PM

2a. That looks correct to me.
    2b. That also looks correct to me.
    2c. You need the definition of Ksp

where the "[]" operators mean the "concentration of"

You have the following:

All you have to do is solve that equation for , the concentration of Calcium ions.
    igob8a Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 08:50 PM

Hi Perito, thanks for the fast reply.

Can you please explain why the 0.004mol/L isn't squared due to there being 2 moles of OH?

Thanks
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2009, 05:10 AM

Quite right. I was sleepy last night so I've fixed my post.

Since you figured that out, I'm curious as to why you need our help.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2009, 12:01 AM

Perito, I think there is a simpler way of looking at this. It takes 2 moles of OH for every mole of Ca. Thus, if the hydroxide ion concentration is 0.004mol/L then the calcium concentration would be half of that. 0.002mol/L
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2009, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    Perito, I think there is a simpler way of looking at this. It takes 2 moles of OH for every mole of Ca. Thus, if the hydroxide ion concentration is 0.004mol/L then the calcium concentration would be half of that. 0.002mol/L
    That may be true in this situation, but in general, it's not. It is only true if you put Ca(OH)2 in pure water. If there's another source of hydroxide, the Ca(2+) concentration will drop.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2009, 02:30 PM

I see, like if the water was self ionizing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Finding the effect of the increased concentration of ions on the equilibrium [ 1 Answers ]

Suppose that some solid sodium acetate, CH3COONa (s), were added to a saturated solution of silver acetate which is in equilibrium with some CH3COOAg(s). After the sodium acetate has dissolved, what will be the effect of the increased concentration of the acetate ion on the equilibrium? ...

Finding [OH-] in saturated Calcium hydroxide [ 1 Answers ]

How do I determine the in a 25.0 mL of saturated solution of Calcium hydroxide.. given that 12.01 mL of 0.09666 M HCl is needed to titrate it? First, I calculated the number of moles of OH- from Calcium hydroxide.. from that I found the total volume of solution (volume of Calcium hydroxide +...

Concentration [ 3 Answers ]

How do I calculate concentartion?

Concentration... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, My problem is that I can only sit to study a particular subject for around 15 minutes. What I mean is... suppose I take a biology lesson which I have to complete learning within 2 hours. Now as I start studying... I'll learn for say around 15 minutes without many thoughts coming to my...

View more questions Search