Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmlindsay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 06:25 PM
    My dogs limps after a few minutes in cold weather what is wrong with her?
    I have a 8 month old 70 lb. mixed breed, and since the weather started getting cold she has developed a limp. It will start a few minutes after going into the cold and then stop a few minutes later. It was on the right side for a few days, now it is only on the left side.only on the hind legs. The vet examined her, and said it could be arthritis, but the symptoms seem different than the ones I've read about. Does anyone have a clue?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2009, 07:23 PM

It could be any one of a number of things really.
    It could be nothing, it could just be that her feet are sensitive and she doesn't like the cold ground or it could be a damaged ligament that acts up in the cold or arthritis

Give the breeder a call and let them know what is happening, they might have had it happen to one of their dogs in the past.
    I have a dog that suffers from incontinence, she went to the vets to be checked out and they wanted to do thousands of dollars worth of tests on her.
    We called the breeder and found out it was a hereditary problem and was told what to do about it from there
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 02:41 AM

Ours sometimes limps just to get attention. She found out that limping can get her an all over pet as we check to see if she's injured.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2009, 07:49 AM

I was going to say ligament - this was my first sign there was a problem when my Rott tore her cruciate ligament. She limped all winter when she got cold, Vet wasn't sure, it tore in the Spring.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 11:13 AM

Are you still feeding her puppy chow?
    A lot big dogs need to have puppy formual until they are up to a year old. Their bones will grow too fast and cause like every one else has mentioned torn ligaments, which can lead to arthritus, and will probably never heal completley.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2009, 01:04 PM

My dogs do this in the early mornings when the ground is still frozen. It could simply be that your dog doesn't like the cold.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2009, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Are you still feeding her puppy chow?
    A lot big dogs need to have puppy formual untill they are up to a year old. Their bones will grow too fast and cause like every one else has mentioned torn ligaments, which can lead to arthritus, and will probablly never heal completley.
    It's the opposite actually :)

Large to giant breed dogs shouldn't be fed regular puppy chow as it has too much protein and causes them to grow too fast. Puppy food generally has around 27% protein or higher, whereas large/giant breeds need 23% to 24% protein.
    If their bones grow too fast it can cause big, often irreversible problems.

In saying that though 70lbs at 8 months is more medium/large on my scale.
    My parents dane is 176lb, he would have been about 100lb or more at 8 months.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 13, 2009, 03:02 PM

Oh really? That's weird. When slash had a torn lig, the vet said I should put him back on puppy formula, because he was growing too fast for his joints. Yes though she said I needed to find puppy chow for large breeds. He was about 100 lbs at 7-8 months.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Oh really? That's weird. When slash had a torn lig, the vet said I should put him back on puppy formula, becasue he was growing too fast for his joints. Yes tho she said I needed to find puppy chow for large breeds. He was about 100 lbs at 7-8 months.
    Did your vet mention protein content? Large breed formulas are different from generic puppy chows. Dietary needs while healing also change from normal requirements.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 13, 2009, 03:47 PM

Yes,I was feeding Slash Hollistick food. But she also said that it was a good idea to keep any large breed on large breed puppy formula until they were a year old.
    I definitely should have mentioned that in my above post.
    While feeding Slash the Hollistick food, I also gave him fruit and veggie cookies for dogs that contained wheats and rice as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't get the key out in cold weather - 95 Accord [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX (84K miles). I have a peculiar problem in very cold weather: I can't get the key out of the ignition when I the car in Park. :mad: None of the gear lights glow up even though the gear is clearly in Park position. If I wait just a minute or two (sometimes...

What dogs can live outside in hot weather? [ 33 Answers ]

Hi, Recently I've been looking for a new dog and it has to be an outside dog because my mom has allergies and the whole shedding... I need to know what dogs can live outside in the hot weather. The dog is going to have to be outside year round and most of the time its really hot out here and it...

Rooster/cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

How cold of weather can a chicken or rooster withstand?

Car shutting off in cold and hot weather [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 honda accord EX coupe which has been just shutting off on me in the middle of driving. It has happened in hot weather and cold weather so I don't think that it is the relay system. I wait a few minutes and it will crank back up but today it did not. I had to leave it stranded but will...

Working on cold weather [ 4 Answers ]

Hi: Even when this question is not related to aviation technical issues, I'd like to ask to any A&P mechanic who have worked in cold weather conditions (24°F-35°F aprox) outside of a hangar, about what clothes are good to keep me warm enough to handle the cold when the job is outdoors,and at the...

View more questions Search