Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhbell Posts: 47, Reputation: -1

Nov 12, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Sewer cleanout
    Hi, we had a backup and plumber had to use roof vent to clean it out. I have looked all over for a cleanout and have not located it yet, and don't know if we have one or not. I read about putting snake down toilet and using metal detecter but have none of those things. Is there a way I might find my cleanout in another way?
    I welcome any advice, Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2006, 02:28 PM
    " I read about putting snake down toilet and using metal detecter"
    Toss that book away. By code we install a cleanout not over 18 inches out from the foundation and bring it up to grade. Over time this can get covered by soil or grass. In that case we first ascertain which way the sewer runs. (City sewer out the front as a rule) or septic tank, (out the back). We then take a pointy rod and jab around the house until we hit something hard. Good luck, Tom
    MariaE777 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Good luck. I had 3 guys come out and poke and snake and nothing found. They put one in for me and while they were digging they saw pieces of the old pipe in the ground. They replaced the pipes and never put one in. Cost me $275. Hope you have better luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Many older homes don't have one, Even a lot of homes built in the 70's ( which I guess is old now) don't have them. In some homes for some reason they put them under the hosue, in the crawl space or basement.

And this was also done by some plumbers not following code, when they were under houses and broke open pipes do a cleanout and then put one there.

But if your plumber used the vent, most likely there is not a clean out, or he would have used it.

They are not that costly to have put in, ( I am having one put into my home this week) he is charging me 75. He dug into the ground by hand, broke the pipe, put on a connection pipe, and when he is done ( will finsih tomorrow) it will stick out of the ground with a cap)

So if they can't find one, odds are there isn't one

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a cleanout on my main sewer? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My neighbor and I will be digging a 9 foot deep hole on the side of my house to access my main sewer line which is about 3 feet inside the foundation of my house. Can anyone tell me the level of difficulty of this job... and how to do it? I want to install a cleanout so I can have access...

Looking for the Cleanout [ 3 Answers ]

Jenniferb209 has asked a public question in Plumbing Question Title : finding a cleanout to snake Question Details: I seem to have a clog in the main line, as I have both plunged And used drain opener without success. My tub drains extremely slow, and if There is any water in the tub, the...

Sewer vent. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 inch sewer pipe going to a septic system. The pipe exits throgh the floor into the knee wall of the second floor of an unfinished room after renovations. I extended it into the crawl space in the attic by running it along the rafters in a roof pitch. I downsized it to a 3 inch pipe...

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

Cleanout access [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put in a laminate floor over the square hole in the basement that accesses the main sewer cleanout (3" PVC). What is the easiest and most recommendable way of doing that enabling access as well as making it aestatically pleasing? Any suggestions would be more than welcome...

View more questions Search