Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmen drysdale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 01:58 PM
    How do I leave my daughter to get on with her life
    My daughteris 19, studying music, which she says she loves at university, she is still living at home.

She is unmotivated and does hardly any uni work. She should be in her 2nd year but is having to repeat part of the first due to not passing sufficient modules.

I worry so much that she is not going to pass or succeed that I am constantly going on at her about studying and commitment, she shows not determination or motivation at all

I have assured her that if she feels that university is not for her, then she should feel free to find another pathway into her chosen field. We have terrible arguments about it, and I stay up all night worrying and thinking of ways to help her but I really think that I should be standing back and letting her sort herself out.

I have always supported her with her academic work and thought that once she was finally doing what she loved she would standon her own two feet and sort herself out.

Help me please
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 03:41 PM
    As hard as this may sound to do, please give it consideration. Give your daughter a time line to move out and be firm about it. Right now why should she have any motivation to do anything? She has got free room and board, not? I would not be too generous either with helping her move out - the depost and first month at the most and some groceries but after that - she will have to sink or swim. And be TOUGH.
    unsure42 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2006, 11:20 PM
    Stop paying for things MAKE her get a job and keep it! Then set a date for her to move out. Give very little financial support after this, On christmas don't make money a gift get her something that will help her stay focuse, school supplys etc.

This is going to be very hard and having a good friend to talk to it about is a good idea.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 01:21 AM
    No disrespect, but I couldn't disagree more with the first two responses.
    Until you know the reason behind your daughters lack of motivation and disinterest in her studies or the cause of her failing grades, I wouldn't do anything irrational.
    Is her uni work not getting completed because she's out with friends instead?
    Or does she spend most of her time at home?
    Knowing her mental state and getting to the core reason behind these troubles is the first step in finding a solution.
    Yelling, fighting, and arguing over the situation is only likely to make matters worse.
    If you are assuring your daughter in a compassionate way that it's OK to take another path that might lead her to happiness, then I don't see why she would pass that up if she were in an unhappy situation.
    Unless,
    I have assured her that if she feels that university is not for her, then she should feel free to find another pathway into her chosen field. We have terrible arguments about it
    , if this is a derogatory statement that leads her to believe that by doing so she will disappoint you in some way, she may be reluctant to do so. This fear of being a disappointment to you can come out as anger and lead to fights.
    You both must have respect for one another and calmly discuss the issues.
    She mustn't be allowed to mooch or run all over you, but she needs to know and trust that you believe in her.
    If you could please elaborate a bit on your daughters persona, it may help to better suggest ways to go about the situation.
    Until then, keep your composure. It's not always advisable in every situation to stand back with the hopes that your child will make the right choices throughout life and find their two feet one day. As parents it's our duty to gently guide them to their feet, never criticizing or belittling, and to never give up on our children.
    Kae
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen drysdale
    My daughteris 19, studying music, which she says she loves at university, she is still living at home.

She is unmotivated and does hardly any uni work. she should be in her 2nd year but is having to repeat part of the first due to not passing sufficient modules.

I worry so much that she is not going to pass or succeed that I am constantly going on at her about studying and committment, she shows not determination or motivation at all

I have assured her that if she feels that university is not for her, then she should feel free to find another pathway into her chosen field. We have terrible arguments about it, and I stay up all night worrying and thinking of ways to help her but I really think that I should be standing back and letting her sort herself out.

I have always supported her with her academic work and thought that once she was finally doing what she loved she would standon her own two feet and sort herself out.

Help me please
    Yes, definitely stand back, this is the beginning of HER life, if she's not motivated in school,that's herproblem, if she's not studying enough, let her fail, you have raised her and now she must learn on her own. She'll eventually get sick of the fact that she just standing still and do something? Are you supporting this school, if so tellher the money runs out when the original time is up to get the first degree. She will make it, she just in a lull right now and all your talks and nagging won't help, stand back and wait for her to ask you what she might do to improve her situation, but for now, your job is over let her make her own mistakes and figure things out. It'll be OK;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When to know you should leave [ 24 Answers ]

Need advice from anyone at this point.. I have been married for nine years, for seven years in the marriage my husband has been doing everything for every one but his family. He has left me so lonely that about a few years ago, I went to visit family and ran into an old friend. Yes a male...

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

Should I leave him? [ 34 Answers ]

I have been married for five years now. We have got 2 kids. My husband cheated on me while I was pregnant with a very good friend of mine. He was still cheating on me while we got married with the same girl and asked me to keep our marriage secret. I later found out, he left the girl, I forgave him...

Should I leave him? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been married since one year, but we never lived together as he was a student. So I stayed with my parents. Also our marriage is not revealed to any of our relatives, friends yet. After few months I migrated to another country for my further studies and he stayed back as he has started...

Should I leave him [ 14 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfreind for 4yrs. I lived with him the first 3 then he kicked me out for hearing I was cheating, which I wasn't and he knows.We have been getting along very well, but every time he gets angry with me for the smallest thing (ex. Calling him more than once when he is out with...

View more questions Search