Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulowen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 12:08 PM
    White Rodgers gas valve 36e troubleshooting
    I have a Lennox G23 furnace with a White-Rodgers 36E24-204 NG valve that continually is tripping the limit switch, due to a condition where the pilot is putting out way too much flame. I can see areas on the plate where the limit / rollout switch sits, and the flame has deposited large amounts of soot and blackening. I tried to adjust the pilot gas flow to its lowest setting (clockwise as far as it would go), also tweaked the pressure regulator adjutment counterclockwise some to see if it would reduce the pilot flame while the unit is running... Not much success. On an intermittent pilot system, how much flame should be present on the pilot after thre main burners are lit and running? Is this just an issue where the gas valve cannot regualte correct pressure for the pilot anymore?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 10, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Sounds to me like the pilot orifice is to large or someone at one time opened it up. I gas valve is limited as to how much pilot control it has. This kind of thing happens when a natural gas furnace is converted to propane and someone forgets to change the pilot orifice.
    paulowen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 08:18 AM

This is a furnace that's at my wife's quilt shop... I recently had to replace the igniter module. Is there any reason to suspect the gas valve?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Soot is not normal. If the gas valve turn on and off then it is functional. Take some gas pressures before and after the valve and post results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White rodgers Thermostats [ 6 Answers ]

The one I have is an older model. Brown cover -digital comfort set. Does anyone have instructions to get it running? It keeps flashing... nothing else

White Rodgers 50A50 - 241 [ 1 Answers ]

My heater isn't blowing warm air. It doesn't appear to be igniting. What is the normal voltage output of the igniter wire?

White Rodgers Thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

How can I change the program back to manual?

White rodgers 90-113 [ 2 Answers ]

How to wire a relay

White-Rodgers thermostat... What does this mean? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I'm about to smash this thing up. I fell asleep with the AC turned off earlier and now I wake up and its 77 degrees in here and I'm sweating. So I go turn the AC unit back on, setting it on 75 degrees to start with because I know you aren't supposed to do more than 2 degrees at a time....

View more questions Search