Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryjocetani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 04:21 PM
    501c3 church severance pay
    We are a 501c3 church. Is it legal to pay severance pay to pastors who are leaving employment of the church? What are the common practices for other churches regarding paying outgoing pastors severance pay?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 08:21 PM

Why are they leaving ? Were they in a contract, are they being asked to leave before contract if final.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2009, 11:47 PM

maryjocetani
    I have not heard of severance pay for a pastor leaving a parish but I know of cases where they are giving a bon voyage gift as a thank you or to help cover the cost of the pastor's moving.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not a member of a church but want to be married in church [ 8 Answers ]

Neither my fiancé or myself are members of a church, however we want to be married in a church. We live in Whitehall, PA and are wondering if anyone knows of a church that would marry us without having to join.

Severance Pay, ERISA [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Executive with 3 years at a firm. I was summarily terminated. No notice, no reason. No fraud, no embezzlement, not anything along those lines. I got caught up in some political matters. I am 60 years old. My contract calls for a one year salary severance package paid in bi-weekly...

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

I received 3 weeks severance pay from my company that I was laid off last July. The company sent my W-2, but I didn't receive a severance form from them. Neither did the others I asked that were also laid off. So? Does that mean then I shouldn't worry about it?

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

My former employer has defaulted on our signed severance agreement by having insufficient funds for my severance check to clear. In other words, my severance check bounced. I have notified the District Attorney's office and the Department of Labor. Can I file a summons and complaint and have him...

View more questions Search