Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wdixon2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Buying a new car, which option is better?
    You can buy a car through two options:
    1. Pay 10% down and finance the balance through General Motors Acceptance Corporation (GMAC) at a 0.9% annual rate of interest for 48 months.
    2. Take the $2500 rebate, pay 10% own, and finance the balance through the U of I Credit Union at an 8% annual rate for 48 months. You may do anything you want with the $2500, except use it for part of the down payment.

If the cost of the car is $50,000 (including license and taxes), which option should you choose? Show your work and prove your answer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2006, 06:43 PM
    You should make each of the options show you their loan papers which have to disclose the actual cost of the loan. There will be a bottom line on both loan papers which will show you the total amount paid out though the life of the loan.

This work is already done for you, and they are required to furnishyou that info. ( many have hidden fees and the such, so get their bottom line from them in writing.

Now I could preach all night about buying a 50,000 car on payments new.

You do realise you lose about 10,000 the day you drive off the parking lot.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 13, 2006, 09:21 AM
    $45,000 @0.9% interest would give a payment of $954.83 for 48 months = $45,831.73 Total Paid.

$45,000 @8.0% interest would give a payment of $1,98.58 for 48 months = $52,731.84. Less the $2,500 rebate = $50,231.84 Total Paid.

No contest: GMAC @ 0.9% beats the other option by $4,400.11.

I certainly hope that this was not a math problem for school.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2006, 09:44 AM
    This was CLEARLY a school problem. First there are very few cars that cost $50K but the real clue was this phrase: "show your work and prove your answer.".

As a general rule, if it even remotely looks like a homework question, I will not answer unless the OP shows us they have done the work. Homework assignments are meant for the student to do, not someone else. Its one thing to help with a specific snag, but not do the work for them.
    posheak Posts: 51, Reputation: -1

Nov 14, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    This was CLEARLY a school problem. First there are very few cars that cost $50K but the real clue was this phrase: "show your work and prove your answer.".

As a general rule, if it even remotely looks like a homework question, I will not answer unless the OP shows us they have done the work. Homework assignments are meant for the student to do, not someone else. Its one thing to help with a specific snag, but not do the work for them.
    I agree, seen a lot of threads with good questions but are not realistic (figuresdont apply in real buying/ finance situation). Hope these students would also present their answers here and then well give comments
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 2, 2007, 07:20 PM
    buying a new car is a bad idea financially... unless your super rich and can pay cash for it.

new cars lose 60% of value in the first 4 years... it's not a good place to put money, especially if your doing debt and a loan for it.

check this out

Drive Free, Retire Rich
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

May 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
    If you can't figure this out for yourself, why are you buying a $50,000 car ? Or is this your homework and you rather let someone else do the work for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Help lease option [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal for a landlord to walk in hand you a lease option paper asking for a high amount of money and give you 30 days to move if you do not have it? Then to ask for a counter proposal which I did, all in writing he had not seen it we discussed ot over the phone a agreed I sent a check he...

Buying a car on low income with low responsibility [ 0 Answers ]

I am a student. The car that my parents bought for me doesn't run anymore. I want to buy a new car. My parents have bad credit. My grandparents pay for my schooling, but they will not buy me a car. I only make $5000 to $7500 a year. I have no real financial responsibilities. All of my income is...

View more questions Search