Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhundt2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 03:16 PM
    How to count how many of each in excel 2007
    I need to count how many of each item is contained in a column of data (for instance, 4000 rows of data, 100 different items, but multiples of each item - how many Apples, Oranges, Bananas, etc. of each?). How do I do that in Excel 2007?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 06:21 PM

I would use COUNTIF() for this.

=COUNTIF(A:A, "*apple*")

If the text is in column A and quantities that need summing are in column B, then SUMIF():

=SUMIF(A:A, "*apple*", B:B)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel count function [ 12 Answers ]

I am trying to count a large group of cells that are colored depending on the data. For example: I want to count the number of red cells which are faults. I tried the countif but not sure how to set the criteria. Thanks for any help.

Count certain coloured cells in excel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have numerous coloured cells on an excel worksheet and I want to make a formula to count the different colours... ie all the red ones, the green ones etc... Which formula would I use

Excel 2007 to have excel 2003 look? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I have Microsoft Excel 2007, from my course at college I have been given instructions to do a task. However these instructions are for excel 2003. How do I change my excel 07 to look like excel 03 so that it is easier. I know there is a way, help greatly appreicated thanks.

How to Count Differences in Excel [ 2 Answers ]

I have to believe this is possible, but I'm stumped. If I have a list: Dog Dog Cat Cat Hamster Dog Cat Bird

Excel Count Function [ 4 Answers ]

In November 2004 Leif 5233 wrote the following regarding counting cells highlighted in a certain colour: ------------------ Create this function: Function CountCol(SumRange As Range, intColor As Integer) As Integer Dim I As Integer Dim Cell As Range Set SumRange =...

View more questions Search