Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mldean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Popping noises in walls and cracks in my ceilings and walls
    I moved into my house may 08 and had all the walls/ceilings repainted and it looked great. For the past 8 months I have been hearing a popping noise in my walls and every wall in the house has cracks, the floors are creaking and the basement floor seems to now be uneven.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 12, 2009, 07:07 AM

Where are the cracks located? You say your basement floor seems uneven? Are there cracks in that floor that were not there before, or in the foundation walls? What location are you? Is it anew house - how old?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 05:13 AM
    It is a good possibility your footer/foundation has a serious problem. In cases like this when I did building inspections we had the homeowner contact a local engineer firm of there choice. They in turn would make a soils engineer report after taking deep hollow rod samples. Then depending upon what the tests show the footers might need to be exposed and inspected. You sir have a very expensive problem and I would be contacting the local building department since they did the inspections on the footers during the build. I figured this is a relative new home but it really does not make a difference since these steps must be taken.

Once these defects are known to you they will have to be declared on any further sale according to law unless properly repaired. I always feel bad when this type of stuff happens to any homeowner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracking, popping noise in walls and ceilings [ 15 Answers ]

I've been living for 3 months in my new 3-story townhome, and I've recently Noticed loud cracking noises coming from various locations along my interior and exterior walls and ceilings. The noise only occurs once, although different locations can pop at around the same time. These noises come...

24 year house with walls shaking, loud noises in walls, on roof, & cracking driveway [ 3 Answers ]

Our 24 year old house, 2 story, except 3 over the master bath and in the bonus room, has been making thunder-type noises (we had to call the police the other day). The home is on the market. We have also been told, 5 years ago, there may be a natural spring in our back yard. Our driveway, also has...

Framing walls and ceilings for drywall [ 1 Answers ]

How much space should I have between framing studs and plumbing/electrical pipes? Can interior "walls" be norrower than the usual 4"? can i use the 2x4 with the 4" side flush To the ceiling to maximize height of ceiling? How much skill will I need to mud the drywall After it is installed? ...

Drywall, ceilings and walls [ 3 Answers ]

The house I am considering buying, most of the ceilings and walls are cracked. The house has been moved from its original location, this is a stick built home not a modular. If I have the ceilings and walls fixed will they crack again due to settling?

Knock-down textured finish to ceilings and walls? [ 2 Answers ]

What is some of the methods to do a 'knock-down' textured finish to a ceiling or walls?

View more questions Search