Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilfongj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 08:19 PM
    My house has a strange smell... please HELP!
    I have a plumbing question. My house has a bad smell to it, and it is driving me crazy. Not sure where it is coming from. Have checked and there is a trap on every fixture and a 1.5" PVC pipe that goes through the roof for the vent. There is only 1 vent for the house and it is intended to vent 1 toilet, 2 sinks, 1 washer, dishwasher and 1 shower. Is this enough vent?? Also the when the vent comes out it goes straight horizontal for about 3 feet before heading up through a closet and through the roof. There is no consistency to where the smell is coming from. It seems to be coming through the vents of the furnace but I have checked the furnace and haven't noticed any smell in there. It is a high efficience furnace with its own drain system, is there a chance this is clogged?? I am getting very frustrated and have been working on this problem for a year. Initially I thought it was stagnant water laying behind the house so I dug ditches and installed a drain. Then I redid the drain the basement/crawl space. The house is a 1 bathroom house and the kitchen and bathroom are on opposite sides of the small house. The drain for the kitchen picks up the dishwasher, kitchen sink, and clothes washer and hooks in with the other drains for the bathroom including the tub, and sink and go under the house. There is only one vent in the entire house, and it seems no vent on the toilet.
    Please suggestions would be great!! Thanks
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Dec 8, 2009, 09:22 PM

Is the smell only in the heating season - is that why you suspect the furnace? Describe the smell. Is it a sewer smell? You've had it at least a year, so I think that rules out a dead animal trapped somewhere. What is the size of the one vent going through the roof? I suspect it very well may be enough if large enough. Of course that does not mean it can't be clogged somewhere. Have you ever snaked it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2009, 06:55 AM

There is only one vent in the entire house, and it seems no vent on the toilet
    I'll bet if you look in the attic you'll see that all your vents are revented back into one vent exiting the roof.
    What does it smell like in the attic?
    Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange smell in my house [ 16 Answers ]

I have a strange smell in my house it started 1 week ago I thought it was coming from outr heater vents like a gas smell I called the fire dept they test for carbon monoxide there was none they said it smelt like ammonia or cat piss I smelled the carpets and cat pan no smell I let the house air out...

Strange smell in house [ 6 Answers ]

We have a strange smell in our house. It builds up when my wife and I are out of the house for a couple of hours or more. If one of us is home, when the other comes home there is no noticeable smell. We both have to be gone. It is weird. The smell is kind of a stale, unpleasant smell such as...

Very strange smell in house [ 6 Answers ]

Hi :) , we've lived in our house six months now, and over the past few weeks, we've noticed a strange smell. The house is about 70 years old, carpets are about a year old, kitchen is all new, bathrooms fairly new. Some of the walls are anaglypta, and although they feel a little spongy underneath,...

Strange smell [ 4 Answers ]

I shifted to a new rental apartment. The problem is that it has this strange smell whenver I enter it. I think it's the wood or the carpet and since the room is closed and locked all day. My q is how can I get rid of it permanently? I use airfreshner but it doesn't do any good. Once inside, I...

Strange smell in & around house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! We live in an 83 yr. old Bungalow in Memphis, TN and there is this smell right when you come in the front door of the house. You can also smell it under the kitchen sink when you open the cabinet doors. Also, on one side of the house outside you get the odor too. It smells similar to...

View more questions Search