Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sashabear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Moen kitchen stinks
    We installed a new Moen faucet with a pull-down hose from the main faucet. When we first turn it on, there is a terrible smell in the water and it bubbles. This has been going on for months. We have isolated it to the hose. Moen has given us a new hose and a new faucet, and we keep having the same problem. We are afraid to use the water for food prep or drinking - this has been going on for 6 months and Moen claims to be "investigating" the hose and faucet we returned to them. Does anyone have any advice?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 08:12 PM

Are you on a Well if so I think your problem is with the well. If the odor you get is something like a rotten egg smell then I am sure that is the problem.

Again if you are on a well you can try to shock the well with a big dose of household bleach. Search the web to find out the best way to do it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2009, 07:01 AM

Letmetellu,
    Search the web to find out the best way to do it.
    One of our job's is to come back with a solution. What you should have done is search the web yourself and came back with a link to the information.
    That's what we do here. Tom
    Bear, Please click on;http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/eng/water/...gfactsheet.htm
    For instructions on shocking your well. Good luck, Tom
    Larrydeyo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashabear View Post
    We installed a new Moen faucet with a pull-down hose from the main faucet. When we first turn it on, there is a terrible smell in the water and it bubbles. This has been going on for months. We have isolated it to the hose. Moen has given us a new hose and a new faucet, and we keep having the same problem. We are afraid to use the water for food prep or drinking - this has been going on for 6 months and Moen claims to be "investigating" the hose and faucet we returned to them. Does anyone have any advice?
    I have had the same problem with a Moen pullout faucet. There is no question in my mind that there are covering this up. They told me they were aware of the problem and that it is due to my water that is reacting with the hose. I asked them what was the chemical taste and odor and what caused the fizzing. They told me they did not know and asked for me to send them the hose for testing. I replied, no way. If they knew about the problem and had not already figured it out they were negligent. BTW. I bought my faucet on December 22, 2009. It has nothing to do with being on a well as there is no other faucet in the house which has this problem. I have filed complaints with the Federal CPSC, the State Attorney General's office and the County District Attorney. Moen must tell us what we have been drinking.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 10:38 AM

Is the smell just from the hose line or faucet aerator too? How about other fixture, smell good or bad?

Jan 8, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Is the smell just from the hose line or faucet aerator too? How about other fixture, smell good or bad?
    This smell and taste is coming from only the new Moen faucet. No other fixture in the house does it. Furthermore, Moen says they know it is coming from the hose. If you run the water the symptoms disappear. However the next time you turn on the tap you get the problem. This is not subtle. It is like someone dropped an Alka Seltzer tablet in the water. Moen sent me a new hose. When I removed the old hose I could smell the odor at either end of the hose. Unfortunately the new hose does exactly the same thing. However, since the smell in the new hose took a few hours to develop, I am guessing that the supply lines are not the problem. Even if the supply lines are the problem, they are new and came with the Moen faucet.

There is no question in my mind that the problem is Moen and it is both interesting and concerning that they agree with this.
    iceman137 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
    I just instaled a danze faucet with a retractable nozle,my water is stinky and tastes bad,this has too do with the hose, but I wonder if this could be doo to cheap stinky china ruber?
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Apr 29, 2010, 04:17 AM

Unfortunately, I have had the same complaint with a Delta Kitchen Faucet with the pull out spout. Are all these hoses made in China? I would love to blame it on them! Chinese Dogfood, drywall, and now kitchen faucets? Could be?

Apr 29, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Moen hose was made in Germany.
    pecotj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Same problem for me. Bought the faucet in late 2009 and the problem started in April 2010.

Symptoms: Leave the faucet alone for an hour or more. Turn it on (hot or cold) and you get foam that smells medicinal and lasts for a while (30 - 45 seconds). The problem is unmistakeable. It is NOT the incoming water from the city. It is NOT a problem at any other faucets. It is NOT a sulfurous smell. It is NOT chlorine... it's almost minty. Took off the sprayer and the problem remained.

BTW, we do not have fluoride in our city, no water softener in the house and there wasn't a change in water source for the city.

Actions: Took out the faucet and the hose to the sprayer had the same medicinal smell. Bought a Delta faucet and BINGO. No problem.

Conclusions: the hose was the cultprit. It is indeed a hose made in Germany for Moen. There are no replacements sold at Home Depot and I don't want to be without a sink for a week in order to get a free hose that will probably have the same problem. Replacement was my best option.

Regrets: Wished I had saved a sample of the water to have tested and I wish I could get back my $138 for the Moen faucet.
    Easygoer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 11:26 AM
    We have same problem with a Moen kitchen faucet installed in April 2010. The water fizzes, and has strange odor and taste when first turned on. Clears up after running a few seconds. Called Moen and they sent a new hose, and said they were aware of the problem. After putting the new hose on, the problem seems to have gone away. Could smell the strange odor from the ends of the original hose, so it is a hose problem. Moen would like you to think the water is safe to drink, and that " water characteristics are an ever changing phenomenom" (Their response to my comments on their site) but my gut reaction is that whatever chemical reaction is going on with the water that sits in the hose causes contamination, and it is definitely not in your best interest to drink it. They want the old hose back, but think we will hang on to it. What exactly are these hoses made of?
    Jay_S Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
    Same here with Moen Boutique.. Moen actually gave us an entire new faucet (different style but similar). Things O.K. for a few weeks and then the foam came back. Like others, they're sending us a new hose to connect to the wand. They say it is only "that" hose that is the issue.

I'm not a rocket scientest :-) but if the hot and cold water feed hoses aren't contributing to the issue and they've "narrowed" it down to the one hose, why not make that hose out of the same type materials as the standard hot/cold water hoses? I mean what is so special about that single hose to the wand that needs to be a different material?
    Jay_S Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 11:53 AM
    Or even a good speller... let's try scientIST.. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_S View Post
    Same here with Moen Boutique.. Moen actually gave us an entire new faucet (different style but similar). Things O.K. for a few weeks and then the foam came back. Like others, they're sending us a new hose to connect to the wand. They say it is only "that" hose that is the issue.

I'm not a rocket scientest :-) but if the hot and cold water feed hoses aren't contributing to the issue and they've "narrowed" it down to the one hose, why not make that hose out of the same type materials as the standard hot/cold water hoses? I mean what is so special about that single hose to the wand that needs to be a different material??
    hseldon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 12:01 PM
    I have the exact problem as describe by pecotj.

I purchased a new Moen kitchen faucet from Lowe's. The first blast of water (after it has been sitting for about a half hour or more) is fizzy, almost like it is carbonated. The water smells just like undiluted ammonia (very strong). You can't drink it - you'll vomit. It is that strong! I took mine a part and it did seem to be the long hose where the hot and cold water mix before coming out of the faucet.

It is so bad I want to get a lab to test the water or send the faucet to a consumer protection agency.

Avoid buying a Moen faucet!
    GaryBishop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 03:49 PM
    I have this same problem with a Moen pull down kitchen faucet. Moen replaced the hose twice but it didn't help. They gave me a credit to buy another faucet. They say they think it is related to well water somehow. Our water is fine from all other fixtures.
    tomdaniels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 08:54 AM
    I also have the same problem. Moen sent a replacement hose but in a few days, the condition reappeared. The rep suggested trying to isolate the problem to the wand hose. I removed the head and the water straight out of the hose still is fizzy. Very strange. None of my other faucets have that problem and it didn't exist before a installed the new Moen. In any event, I am taking it back to Home Depot. No more Moen for me.
    Easygoer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 07:57 AM
    The replacement hose Moen sent improved the water quality at first. Now, a little over a month later, the water is back to the original problem with fizz, bubbles, and off taste. Time for a different brand of faucet.
    jordanj2005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 06:41 AM

I experienced the same problem after about 5 months. Just called Moen and they are sending me a new hose - they admitted they are getting a number of complaints about this. Supposedly the hose has been redesigned.
    theconnman2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 06:34 PM

Anyone know it the redesigned hoses are safe or are having the same problem?
    borninpa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 11:14 AM
    I received a new hose for my moen Anabelle faucet which is having the same foamy/bad smelling water problems. I got it on about 8/15/2010 and the problem seemed to go away for perhaps a day or so. It is not back and just as bad as ever. I am going to call MOEN back today. Not sure what they will do now. I purchased last fall and don't have a receipt (Think I bought it at Lowes).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MOEN kitchen faucet shuts off by itself [ 5 Answers ]

I have a single handle MOEN kitchen faucet. It was leaking from the base when it was on so I had to replace the cartridge or cylinder or whatever you call it and now the leak is gone and it works great. However, if you pull the handle all the way up to full on in any position it stays on. If you...

Moen faucet removal kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

My home was built in 02 with sink in place. I have a single handle Moen kitchen faucet that I am trying to replace with another unit.Under the bottom of the sink thare is a U shaped plate around the h/c water lines come out. Do I start from the top taking apart the faucet to remove it from the...

Removing Moen kitchen faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot removed the faucet handle line under the sink that has black plastic and a white clip running through it. There is a brass nut just above it and it is loose. It is the last piece I need in order to remove it.

New Moen Faucet Stinks [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I just completely remodeled 2 bathrooms in my house. In the master bathroom sink, I installed a new Moen faucet with 8-inch centers. Whenever I use this faucet, the water smells terrible. The smell is much worse on the hot side. The water is also slightly discolored when it is first...

Kitchen Sink Stinks [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink stinks. The smell lingers and smells like damp dirt. Is there any product available to remove this smell? Draino maybe.

View more questions Search