Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgilliland Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Gas furnace - heat doesn't work unless fan is in the on position
    I have a gas furnace that will only work when the fan is on "ON'. I changed the thermostat, same problem. Changed the circuit board, same problem. Changed the ignition modulator, same problem. Changed the fan motor, same problem. Any ideas?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 08:19 PM

Sounds like it would have been cheaper to have changed the entire furnace.

Can you tell me the brand of your furnace and about what is the age of the furnace.

Also tell me what happens if the thermostat calls for heat and the fan is on auto.

Dec 9, 2009, 05:36 AM

The furnace is a Heil I believe the furnace to be between 6 -7 yrs old.
    When the thermostat calls for heat and the fan is on auto you can hear the furnace ignite but the fan will not start. It may be the fan I am hearing trying to kick in I know nothing about a furnace.You can however turn the fan to on and wait a few minutes then turn back to auto and it will cycle 1 time but will not come on again when the thermostat is calling for heat.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2009, 12:49 PM

The way you described it I think that you have a relay out on the circuit board. Some boards have plug-in relays, I am not sure about yours. You might have to change the complete board.

Dec 9, 2009, 03:37 PM

Even if we just replaced the circuit board? We changed the flame sensor today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox furnace fan won't work in auto [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Lennox Pulse 21 furnace and the fan won't work when I have the heat set on auto. The furnace will start, but after about a minute it shuts off without the fan ever starting. If I leave the fan setting "on" it runs constantly at high speed and the furnace also works. I went to a few local...

Gas furnace fan parts and repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old house furnace and the fanjust quit... the fan seems to be in good condition and looks to be without a problem. I can't figure out why the fan would quit... but I need to purchase a new or used one. Things have been tight but I need the heat. I was just wondering if anyone may know...

New gas furnace- not enough airflow to heat house. [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the original forced air oil furnace (circa 1985) with the new gas furnace about a year ago and it simply isn't moving enough air to heat my 2-story 2400 sq ft house. Additionally, a part (forgive me, I don't know exactly which one) keeps failing and the company keeps replacing it (they...

Gas furnace takes too long to heat up [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure I have a problem but it seems my gas furnace takes too long to get to the temperature. The room temp. was 55 oF and I set the setpoint temperature to 65 o F. It takes 2 hours to get the room temp. to 57 oF... I stuck my hand to the vent and I can feel a little of warm air but its not...

Can I wire my furnace for only fan to work [ 10 Answers ]

Replaced mercury t-stat with new honeywell programmable t-stat. want to wire fan switch so fan can be turned on only. Is this possible.

View more questions Search