Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A S1LV3R N1NJA Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Computer screen no signal help
    Hey, first post :)

So, my computer was working almost without problem for a few years, then one day when I booted it up, the moitor said no signal (The monitor's LED would go green, then display a "No signal" message, and go orange), we just gave up and started using the laptop more.
    Today I tried again to fix the computer, so unplugged and replugged everything to see if I could fix it, after a while it started working and after bypassing my forgotten password, it was OK for a while, if a bit slow.
    A few hours later (after unplugging a few times to clear up cables) I tried booting it up and the same problem comes up. Green, No Signal, Orange. Black Screen.
    Any Help? Thanks if youv'e actually bothered to read all this.

Some other info:
    Running Windows XP
    Tried 2 different screens, same problem.
    Might Edit In Some More If I Remember / Is Useful.
    Thanks.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 03:07 PM

Computer slowness has nothing at all to do with the "No Signal". That is strictly a function of the video card, cable, and the monitor. The video card sends a "signal" through the cable to the monitor. If the path for the signal is intact, an image will appear on the monitor. If not, the monitor displays the message "No Signal".

Try a different cable. It's possible that you've damaged the cable. Some monitors have cables permanently attached, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

If you can, try to plug in another monitor (I think this is what you meant by a "screen", but I can't be positive). If the new monitor works, you have eliminated the computer's video card. If it doesn't work, then it's most likely the cable or the video controller card. (and apparently that is the case).

If you can rule out the monitor and the cable, turn the computer off and open the computer box. Determine if the video controller (where the monitor is plugged into) is on the motherboard or if it's an add-in card. If it's an add-in, carefully unseat the board (pull it out) and then reinsert it to make sure it's connected properly. Then try again. If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow a video controller card from someone. If that works properly, you should purchase a new video controller card.

Dec 8, 2009, 03:19 PM

Sorry, meant monitors by screen.
    The second monitor didn't work, this is the first time I've opened up a computer, any tips? Also I think there may be a bit more in the fact that it was working a few hours ago. Thanks.

Dec 8, 2009, 03:35 PM

Hope that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check signal cable on my screen [ 1 Answers ]

On my monitor it says check signal cable

Monitor no signal - new computer [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought a new PC and monitor gets no signal - it works with the old PC What is the most common reasons for this Have tried the helpline but is closed Have looked at manual and it states the most obvious reason for this is that the graphics card has moved in transit but am not sure what to...

I'm getting a message on a black screen saying VGA no signal [ 1 Answers ]

VGA no signal on my windows XP machien Itsjust black screen But am connected to a KVR switch and my other poc is fine with the moniter viewing

My PC drops out of bootup and gives no signal on screen [ 1 Answers ]

My PC keeps failing to boot, the screen runs up to giving boot window with three dashes running across beneath the window writing.Then it stops ,giving a screen with several selections one of them allows the screen to boot after a period has expired allowing this to run until time expires. Leaves...

Lose Monitor signal and screen freeze [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have had my new computer for about six months now. When I bought it I installed an ATI Radeon X1650 PRO graphics card which is very impressive. I also placed an extra hard drive from my old computer (80 GB) into the new one. The new computer is has a 3.2 GB dual core pentium processor,...

View more questions Search