Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breezie1180 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 02:54 PM
    How to evict family member who has never paid rent
    My mother allowed my husbands mother to live in her house until she could find a place of her own. She has never paid rent and has also brought her daughter and her daughters 3 children to live in 1 bedroom of the house. Since they have moved in my mother has had mice in her house. They smoke in the room they occupy my son who has asthma lives in this house as well so I consider it a danger to his health. They bring people over to the house whom we do not know or trust. The children have broken and damaged many things in the home. What options does my mother have to make them leave? This is in California.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 02:58 PM

If there's no contract, or payment, I believe that she can make them leave at any time. She has no obligation to keep them there if they are invited guests in her home.
    I do suggest that maybe she helps them find their own place though, just to kind of mitigate the situation, but it's her home, and if she has no legal duty to keep them there, then there is no reason for her to.
    This isn't legal advice, I just think that's probably right, if it's not someone please correct me. Scott? Where are you buddy?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 04:58 PM

Sorry ohsohappy but that is not correct, this mother-in-law is now a tenant. Even though she pays no rent she qualifies as a tenant and must be evicted just like a paying renter. California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Sorry ohsohappy but that is not correct, this mother-in-law is now a tenant. Even though she pays no rent she qualifies as a tenant and must be evicted just like a paying renter. California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
    Hmm, it must be different depending on the state. Thanks for the correction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 05:25 PM

Sorry ohsohappy, while slightly different, once they "MOVE" in they are tennants even if not paying rent in any state in the US, and have to be evicted officially. ** if they won't just move when told to move.

Many people illegaly kick people out but open thierself up for law suits by doing so.

If she would have ordered all the other people out the day they got there, then they were not tennants yet. States view differnetly at how long they have to be there,

Dec 8, 2009, 05:37 PM

Yep, that aspect is pretty universal, once you reside you are a tenant even if you do not pay toewards the rent.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Sorry ohsohappy, while slightly different, once they "MOVE" in they are tennants even if not paying rent in any state in the US, and have to be evicted officially. ** if they wont' just move when told to move.

Many people illegaly kick people out but open thierself up for law suits by doing so.

If she would have ordered all the other people out the day they got there, then they were not tennants yet. States view differnetly at how long they have to be there,
    That's why I said It wasn't legal advice and that if it was wron, someone please correct me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    That's why I said It wasn't legal advice and that if it was wron, someone please correct me.

But that is the problem, this is a legal board and we pride ourselves, we are not like some of the other boards where there are silly answers that win "best answer" we expect legal answers to be LEGAL answers
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    But that is the problem, this is a legal board and we pride ourselves, we are not like some of the other boards where there are silly answers that win "best answer" we expect legal answers to be LEGAL answers
    Good point, I'll remember that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    Hmm, it must be different depending on the state. Thanks for the correction.

Do you know which State or States don't require a person living at a residence, family member or not, to be evicted?

This comes up fairly often and rather than check State by State if you know the info would be helpful.

Dec 8, 2009, 08:28 PM

ohsohappy, please do not feel picked on but Chuck is right, we try to stick to fact of law. I am no lawyer but have had many legal situations in my business and my professional career. Whne I see a question where I know the answer, for a fact, I jump in. When I don't know for a fact I will ask a question just so I start getting instant notifications of future post, that way maybe I can learn something from the other smart folks at AMHD.
    breezie1180 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 03:37 PM

Still would like to know what she would need to do... does she serve a 60 day notice does it need to be notorized. If they don't leave does she do a unlawful detainer or is that only for people who have paid rent?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 03:40 PM

Ballanger posted the info above - California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs.

Did you read it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2009, 04:12 PM

Without a lease they are considered a month to month tenant. CA law states that a 30 day notice is required to terminate tenancy.

So she needs to give them written notice to vacate within 30 days. If they don't vacate, then she goes to court for an eviction order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is tn law concerning evicting a family member who has not paid any rent [ 2 Answers ]

I live in TN and need to find the law concerning evicting my 34 year old daughter who has not paid any rent and refuses to leave I need to know the most quick way to get her out my utility bills are gettinghigher and I don't believe I should have to support a free loader

Evict family who paid rent a couple time [ 5 Answers ]

I let my brother stay with us about 6 years ago. He was to pay rent if he could $200 a month. He paid maybe 3 times in the time he has been here. There were a few rules that he was to obey. 1. no smoking in the house 2. no open flames, candles unless there was a power outage and you...

How can I evict a family member? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently taking care of my parents' house in Virginia while they live in California. I have been put 'in charge' of the happenings in the house. My brother, his girlfriend and her family are guests in this house (no rental agreement/lease was made). Since they said they would pay rent (and...

Can We Evict Immediately if They've NEVER Paid Rent? [ 24 Answers ]

We recently agreed to rent a house to some people. We signed the lease agreement, but the renters weren't given the lease or a copy because they haven't paid the first month's rent yet. Can we evict them without notice? They have been there for two weeks and have paid nothing, not to mention...

View more questions Search