Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dotak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 01:10 PM
    What are the Tax implications on inherited money from abroad
    My Father passed away early this year in South Africa and part of my inheritance was a$30,000 cash in one my fathers bank account in South Africa. I will like to know the tax and reporting implications when I decide to move the funds to my own bank account in the US. Thanks

Dee.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Dee:

You will probably have to file Form 3520 to properly document the money transfer, but no taxes (either income or estate) will be due to the IRS on this money.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 06:42 PM

No form 3520 is necessary unless the amount exceeds US$100,000.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 10:27 AM
    Intl Tax:

Is any other documentation required?
    Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 10:45 AM

No.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 11:01 AM
    I find that surprising, given that financial transactions in the $10K range within the U.S. are normally reported to the IRS by the banks.
    Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 11:17 AM

You are thinking of the reporting requirements for "cash" or "currency" transfers in excess of $10,000. There is no special reporting requirement for a check or wire transfer in excess of $10,000.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Yes, that is true. I just deposited a large check for my daughter without incident.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2009, 04:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dotak View Post
    My Father passed away early this year in South Africa and part of my inheritance was a$30,000 cash in one my fathers bank account in South Africa. I will like to know the tax and reporting implications when I decide to move the funds to my own bank account in the US. Thanks
    Dee.
    There is no tax on inheritance, and in your case to reporting is required. If you transfer the cash in your bank account in a foreign country, then you need to file Form TD F 90-22.1.
    If money is transferred directly from your father's bank account to your bank account in the U.S. Form TD F 90-22.1 is not required, unless you have more than $10,000 in foreign bank accounts.
    troubledmind Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 09:31 AM
    I was depositing $US to one acct over the past 15 years. Money I worked for here and have paid taxes. If I want to wire the full amount back here (more than ($100,000) can I do it without being questioned? I read abovethat if the moneyh is more than 100K then I have to fill out the form TD F 90-22.1 or 3520 (which one applies?). Can I split the wire and transfer 100K one time and 100K another day? What do you recommend I do?
    Senior Tax Expert

May 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
    Transfer the money. The Form 3520 is an information only. If you can account from where the money came, you should have little problem.

The other form is the FBAR, which informally stands for Foreign Bank Account Report.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
    The FBAR (Foreign Bank Account Report) required annually to reveal foreign account that, in total, exceed $10,000.

If you have never submitted this form, you need to submit a "quiet" submission for the past seven years to get into compliance with the disclosure laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to marry only to get money from your inherited trust fund money [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal to marry some one and get paid for it So that the person can get there inherited money That they were only supposed to get when they get married. The money is in a trust fund and can't be used until this person gets married

Tax and Reporting obligations on inherited money abroad [ 4 Answers ]

My father (a foreign born US citizen) died intestate years ago and everything has long been distributed through probate. My family recently learned that father had a foreign bank account. The bank is prepared to release the funds (about $400k) to his 4 inheritors/beneficiaries (also US citizens)...

Tax on inherited property sold abroad [ 2 Answers ]

My wife (a US citizen) inherited 3 acreas of land in Honduras. She recently sold it for $100,000. To date she has only received a down payment of $20,000 of which she had to pay a capital $4000 capital gains tax to Honduras based on the total sales price. The purchaser has run into some...

Do I pay taxes on inherited money from abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I might inherit money from my father who was a pakistani citizen. I am a dutch citizen, but a legal resident in the usa. I am wondering if I have to pay taxes over the amount I receive.

View more questions Search