Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Torimrae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 03:25 AM
    Furnace only works for about 30 minutes at a time
    Ruud Deluxe Drum 90 Plus

History: 3 weeks ago, the condensate trap clogged up, water flowed from around it and down the wiring into the compartment with the circuit board. None of the water touched the circuit board (that I am aware of) but it pooled on the bottom where the capacitor was connected. When the capacitor got wet, the furnace would shut off. Once I dried everything, it worked until it got wet again. Once I cleaned the trap out sufficiently and resealed everything the next day, all was well for about 3 weeks.

3 days ago, the furnace quit. I turned it off, back on, and it worked great for about a day. Then it would work for several hours (did this twice as I reset it once I got home for work). Now it only comes on for about 30 minutes. Looking at the capacitor, with a now rusty end, I plan on changing it, however the symptoms of how the furnace is acting has me wondering if its not something else.

Each time I turn it off and restart it, the draft motor starts, the ignitor heats up, the gas starts, the flame starts, then the blower starts and the flame goes out. The flame will relight about 3 times before it keeps going with the blower on. This is what has me worried about possibly being the heat exchange and thinking it is more than the capacitor. I have double checked all my CO detectors just in case.

Any ideas, or does this sound like it might indeed be something as simple as the capacitor?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 03:58 AM

If blower operation causes flame disturbance, the heat exchanger is leaking. Time for a pro, probably a new furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heil furnace burners go out after a few minutes [ 4 Answers ]

Have A Heil Furnace Model # NULK105AH02 : Serial number: H51118647, 105,000BTU Been having problems getting the burners to stay lit. We've cleaned it completely, put a new electronic switch on it. Still not working properly. It goes off propane, instead of natural gas. We are getting black soot...

Furnace turns itself off every 2 minutes [ 0 Answers ]

HI, I have a furnace that won't stay in. The blower keeps blowing, but the heat cuts out because the flames get shut off every two minutes or so. Over the summer, we remodeled and streamlined the duct work. We eliminated lots of big runs that absorbed all the heat. Now, though, I think we...

Dog peeing blood every 15 minutes but not a lot at a time [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 10 yr old beagle and she was peeing dark orange at first that was last week then she seemed to be going fine then today I noticed she was peeing every 15 minutes and there was blood in it it is just blood red when she pees what can I do to make her get better our family vet is out for the...

Ceiling fan works on high for minutes then goes to slow [ 4 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan that was installed professionally 4 years ago. Recently, I noticed that the fan was running on slow. I could switch to high and it would stay for a few minutes and then go back to slow speed. This was a remote Hampton Bay. I decided to replace the fan thinking it could be...

Furnace stays on for 2 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a digital thermostat and my furnace seems to stay on for only 2 minutes at a time. It does this approximately every 10 min. The programmed cycle rate is 5/hr, so starting up every 10 min makes sense. If the programmed temp is 72 F and the room temp is around 72 F, it will start up as...

View more questions Search