Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjones001 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Punishment for shoplifting
    I shoplifted for years and never got caught. I don't steal anymore because I finally got a conscious and feel very guilty for my actions. Stealing became a thrill and I wasn't aware of how my behavior was affecting businesses and consumers. I feel so sorry for my actions and feel I need to be punished somehow. What would be the approbriate punishment? Should I turn myself in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 07:27 PM

If you want a legal answer, no, but you can determine what you cost various stores and start trying to pay them, you can send money to them unmarked perhaps money orders to pay back what you did.

But the best thing, know it was wrong, and do right from now on
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 07:32 PM
    Pay it forward. Donate money to charities like St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital... Make a Wish Foundation.

That way you will feel that you made a difference in someone else's life.

Dec 7, 2009, 08:25 PM

Thanks, I know now it is totally wrong to steal and I don't do it anymore. It's just comforting to know that some people think that I can pay for my crime in other ways than going to jail, which I do deserve.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 12:10 PM

I am concerned about your repetitive threads and your apparent need to confess and be punished. You almost preach on the legal threads. Has something traumatic happened recently in your life? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...me-423089.html

Dec 8, 2009, 02:43 PM

Nothing traumatic has happened, just a divine revelation and to know what to do about my past mistakes. I was reading about Roman Polanski's case, and made me think if he has to pay for a past crime then I should also. I just wanted the opinions of the society.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 03:43 PM

Not a problem and I responded on another thread - I just don't think you should be more or less beating yourself up over your past. Sometimes you just have to move on - but if this is religion based, well, then it's your personal beliefs that matter.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 04:08 PM

If it's punishment that you seek, then first calculate a monetary value that you think is close to the amount that you stole, and donate it to a charity, or charities, like J_9 mentioned. THEN, volunteer somewhere that matters. And for the rest of your life, do random acts of kindness, for people that really need it. Try to do it anonymously, as to not get "credit".

It may take some time for you to clear your conscience, but I don't think that you need to "turn yourself in". You didn't kill anyone(did you?).

The most important thing is that you have stopped, and you feel remorse.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the Punishment for 1st offece shoplifting indoor government property under 800 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I got involve stealing on Marine core base with 800 dollar merchandise its my first offense with a clean record I'm 19 years of age military dependent I had a court marshal On base and paid the 800 dollar back also did a little community service and talk to kids what can happen if u commit a...

What kind of punishment? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I live in Indiana, and I don't know what laws apply where, but I was wondering something. Last night my friend was pulled over as soon as he got in his truck, and he was drunk. He was arrested for drinking and driving, transporting alcohol, drinking underage, and, illegal consumption, which...

What punishment or verdict will I get for doing shoplifting worth 150$ [ 19 Answers ]

I rently got arrested for shoplifting items worth 150$ . I have not got the court date yet and I'm an immigrant and waiting for renewing my visa status next year. Now tat I got arrestedwill that be a trouble in entering the US again or gettig visa renewed... and do anyone know what will be the...

What punishment? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: hi I am wondering what will happen if someone was working at the bank and stoled 1000.00 dollars from the draw and was set a court date what going to happen to them

The right punishment [ 7 Answers ]

My friend's daughter started a web-site on Xanga and put quote's about suicide, that she got off a suicide web page, into her profile. I think that this is a big red flag but he believed her when she told him it was her friend's idea. He had previously told her not to ever start a web site on...

View more questions Search