Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breakersjl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Can culter hammer breakers be used in a GE panel or is this against code?
    Can culter hammer breakers be used in a GE panel or must GE breakers be installed? I was told installing CH breakers in a GE panel is against code?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Check the instructions or datasheet for the CH breaker. Most likely not able to use in GE panels due to UL Listing. There are a few breakers that are UL Listed to work in other panels.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Dec 7, 2009, 05:22 PM

Cutler-Hammer does have breakers that are UL certified to fit 6 other manufacturer's panels. GE is one of them. The only way to know if you can use a different manufacturer's breaker is to do the research.

The person that told you installing a CH breaker in a GE panel was against code made a general statement that is false. Here is a link to the CH classified replacement breaker information page if he doesn't believe you. Link
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 05:32 AM

Keep in mind, only the Cutler Hammer Type CL and CHQ are listed as replacement breakers allowed in other panels.

Not the standard and popular Type BR or CH.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100 Amp panel vs 325 Amps worth of breakers? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a house built in '49. The basement was remodeled by previous owner and the Service Panel was upgraded to 100 AMP. The wiring to the breakers are a mixture of modern sheathed 3 wire for the basement level and the original knob and tube wiring for main floor circuits (all fed via the attic)....

Upgrading the panel from fuses to breakers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Don't know everything... but know enough to do a lot on my own. Need to upgrade my home electrical panel from fuses to circuit breakers. So, is it legal that I can do this myself... with a permit and subsequent inspections? Thanks, Steve

Main panel and sub panel breakers [ 1 Answers ]

I inspected a sub panel fed with a number 4 copper cable. The main panel breaker was a 90 amp breaker, but the sub panel breaker was a 100 amp breaker. Is this OK?

60 Amp Panel.how many breakers? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a house with an old Federal Pacific Panel in it. (Yes yes I know, major fire hazard.) I was just wondering, it is rated as a 60 amp panel, does that mean that the sum of all the breakers must be less than 60 amps, or that no one breaker can exceed 60 amps?

200 Amp Service Panel with 60 Amp Main Breakers [ 26 Answers ]

I was told when we purchased our house that it had 200 Amp service which it appears to be; however, the top of each bus bars only has 60 Amp breakers for the Main shut offs. Is this normal? Each bus bar is connected to a hot wire (one red and one black) and then the two 60 amp breakers are...

View more questions Search