Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1HandyGuy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 07:49 AM
    Use existing track for new garage door
    I have a garage door 10 years old and track is perfect. Can I use it for replacement door?
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 7, 2009, 08:11 AM

You need to check the new garage door to see if the parts will actually work. Some will. If you know the door manufacturer's name, my suggestion would be to look up installation details for that door. That will tell you a lot. Hardware changes often. Installations standards for tracks have also changed some.

Good luck!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 08:34 AM

It would rare for the old track to not work with the new door hardware. Compare the two, if they have the same shape then by all means give it a try.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 7, 2009, 09:22 AM

Sorry Ballenger, thought so myself until I tried about a month ago. But Ballenger is right, my response was from just one time incidence. It looked like it would work, but it didn't this case. Double checking shouldn't hurt, but if it's obvious?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 09:24 AM

Correct, if the two tracks have the same profile then it should work.
    Anybodyhome Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 04:28 AM

Actually, the old hardboard/wood garage doors used larger diameter rollers and, therefore, had a larger track to accommodate those larger rollers.

When a new garage door is purchased, it comes with the new track and hardware. Using the old will ore than likely void the warranty if something were to happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage Door Track Lift [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2-car garage, using a single overhead door with opener. The ceiling is about 11.75 ft. I would like to put a residential car lift in one bay. What would it take to raise the overhead door track, so it will provide door clearance over the lifted car?

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

Garage door roller keeps slipping out of track [ 1 Answers ]

We installed a new garage door opener 2 months ago (the tracks were already in place.. installed in early 06 when home was built). When I open or close the door, the top roller falls out of the track. What would cause this to happen. It has been working fine until about 2 weeks ago. It was slipping...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

View more questions Search