Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fireplug0058 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 10:53 PM
    Itchy red skin on chihuahua
    My chihuahua has a terrible time scratching, she is losing hair , her skin looks red and irritated and has developed some hot "itchy spots she scratches and makes a sore. I have tried changing her brands of food, Any ideas?? :confused:
    xHypoCondriacx Posts: 118, Reputation: 3

Nov 11, 2006, 10:56 PM
    Fleas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Chances are, it is not the food. In some cases, dogs do develop allergies. In that case, you need to change the protein source. If your dog is allergic to Lamb, switching from Pro Plan Lamb to Iams Lamb won't help. You would need to change to beef or chicken. Pick a chow and stick to it.

How often are you bathing it? The less the better. If you don't rinse the last little bit of shampoo out, it will irritate the skin.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 12, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Could be food, but I would first check that she is on a vet product for fleas. It could be several other medical issues as well i.e.. Mange, thyroid. How old is she?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny pin sized red itchy dots [ 17 Answers ]

I have about 5 or so of this tiny pin sized red dots that itch more than anything I've ever experienced. I found if I leave them alone they'll dry up in about a week or so. But if I dare scratch them they spread into a rash. Any ideas?

Itchy skin, then red bump like rash [ 2 Answers ]

For a few weeks now, I've been itching extremely bad all over my body. Usually my thighs worst of all. I assumed I was gaining weight and it was just because my skin was stretching(I'm noticing more stretch marks than before). Now all of the sudden everywhere it itches(worse than before!) As soon...

Tiny itchy red bumps that dry up in a day or two [ 2 Answers ]

I have tiny red itchy bumps that pop up on my ankles, legs, back, stomach and pretty much that's it. They come up individually and also in clusters at times. They pop up suddenly, itch more at times than at other times and then dry up within a day or two. The bumps are about the size of a head of...

Itchy, red, swelling in upper thighs? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 48 year old male and have experienced intermittant red, itchy, swelling areas in my upper thighs. It feels like an accumulation of fluid, not a skin problem. The effected region feels warm to the touch and usually dissipates in 24 - 48 hours. I was diagnosed with microscopic blood in my...

View more questions Search