Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaulS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2004, 07:39 PM
    Sudden hot water pressure loss, seeking advice!
    Our shower recently began to act weird.  One day we had to turn the single control knob much hotter to get the same temp that we did before.  Now, about a month after that, we have to turn the knob even further, and we have lost a lot of our hot water pressure.  The rest of the house seems to have normal pressure.

From research here and other places, I think that I need to replace the cartridge.  Here is where I run into a problem.  Our faucet is a Stanadyne from about 1991 I believe.  There is no back access to the controls from the adjacent closet, and the hole behind the metal faceplate is only about 4-5" in diameter.  There was a plastic plate that was on the back side of the hole, that enabled the front faceplate to secure to it, but that blocks the entire hole.

How do I go about replacing this cartridge?  I would really not like to break open the closet wall, or have to enlarge the hole in the shower wall.  Is there a way to remove and replace the cartridge without making it a major reconstruction project?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2004, 01:04 PM
    Re: Sudden hot water pressure loss, seeking advice
    Stanadyne bought Moen. And if you have one of their valves remove the handle and pull the chrome stop tube straight out. Turn off shut off valves underneath the shower valve.
    Remove retainer clip (copper horseshoe shaped clip) and pull out cartridge with channel locks, pliers, or cartridge puller. Lube new cartridge with silicone jel and
    Insert the cartridge with hole on the stem facing the 6 o'clock position, or down in a tub/shower.
    Reinsert retainer clip and screw in handle assembly, followed by the cap or insert button. Turn water back on. When you have the cartridge out check the inlet ports for any trash and before you install the new cartridge turn on the water and chec k the flow from the open valve body. You're flushing the water supply lines. If there is a diminished flow then the blockage is most likely in the seat of the shut off valve. If there is no access hole for the shut off stops then your valves have integral screw driver stops located on each side of the valve body. Hot stop on the left, cold is on the right. They can be reached by removing the two screws and removing the chrome cover plate. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of hot water pressure in entire house [ 13 Answers ]

Greetings, I have a sudden loss of hot water pressure in entire house (all showers, washing machine, sinks, etc.) Nothing has been touched or replaced. We have a well and our 50 gallon hot water heater is new - installed Sept. 2003. I have been reading this could be 'air pressure' related but...

Loss of hot water pressure [ 4 Answers ]

The hot water pressure(cold is fine) throughout my house except for the washer and basement faucet has decreased to just a little more than a trickle and is taking forever become hot. I live in an old house and my husband is thinking that we will need to put in all new plumbing. What can we do to...

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house. ...

Sudden pressure loss in Sink [ 1 Answers ]

My sink has suddenly lost pressure, I ran it for about 10 seconds and it was fine, a few minutes later I turned it on and it was nothing but a drizzle. I've checked around the lines and there is no leaking and it drizzles the same in both sprayer modes. Over the last hour it has picked up a...

Loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realize this question has been asked before but the proposed solutions have not corrected my problem. I have recenly renovated my kitchen and have added an island which includes my sink and dishwasher. After the plumbing had been connected, I noticed a considerable reduction in the...

View more questions Search