Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmerrick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Wiring basement - outlets/lights per circuit
    I'm finishing my basement and I'm getting ready to do the wiring plan. I plan to have both outlets and lights on each circuit and I'm planning on 3 circuits (1 for a workshop (20Amp?), 2 (15 Amp?)for the rest of the basement including a rec room, craft room, bathroom, closets).

Are there code requirements I need to be aware of for the following:

- number of outlets / light fixtures per circuit?
    - spacing of outlets along the wall?
    - height of outlets off the floor?
    - do I need to use GFCIs on each circuit?
    - My sump is on a dedicated circuit. I'm builing a closet around it that will also house a deep freezer. Can I put the freezer & overhead light (single bulb on pull chain fixture) on the same circuit as the sump?
    - anything else I should know?

Thanks! :confused:

MM
    Columbus, OH
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 11, 2006, 10:04 PM
    The bathroom must have its own 20A circuit. There must be a GFCI outlet within 3-feet of the outside edge of the sink, on a wall that is adjacent to the sink or countertop. The circuit that serves this outlet cannot serve anything outside of this bathroom, but can serve other things within the same bathroom such as lights or an exaust fan (w/o heater).

- number of outlets / light fixtures per circuit?
    Code does not specify how many outlets can be on a general lighting circuit (which includes general use receptacles). At least one city that I know of has its own limit per circuit, so you may want to check with your local building dept. There are many different rules-of-thumb that I have heard, including 1.5A-2A per outlet, or 5-7 outlets for 15A and 7-10 for 20A circuits.

- spacing of outlets along the wall?
    For the finished portions, code says there should be no point measured horizontally on a wall space that is more than 6 feet from a receptacle outlet. A wall space is defined as a space 2 feet or wider (including space measured around corners) that is unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, or similar openings. If I'm wiring in open walls, I am usually pretty liberal with my outlet spacing because it's pretty simple to throw in a few extra, which might eliminate the need for an extension cord some day. Each separate unfinished area of the basement must also have at least one GFCI protected outlet.

- height of outlets off the floor?
    Not specified in code except for above kitchen counters. I usually put my outlet boxes at 16" to the top of the box and 48" for switch boxes. Actually the hammer that I usually carry in my tool belt is the perfect height if I stand it up, to line up with the bottom of an outlet box. This way I don't have to measure.

- do I need to use GFCIs on each circuit?
    Not for the finished parts of the basement. You will in the workshop, unfinished areas, bathroom, and within 6' of a laundry sink.

The sump pump should be on its own 15A or 20A circuit and be GFCI protected. It is okay for the single light bulb to be on this circuit.

The freezer should also be on it's own 15A or 20A circuit but does not need GFCI protection. It definitely shouldn't be on the same circuit as the sump pump.

I think that the one 20A and two 15A circuits seems a bit conservative.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Omzig, if your not an electrician, you sure do know your stuff. Everything you suggested is dead on, with one correction I would like to add, due to a little known exception.

The sump pump, or any stationary applicance in an unfinished basement, does not need GFI protection, ONLY if a single outlet is used.

This allows for critical equipment to operate without the fear of losing that function of that appliance due to nusiance GFI trips, and with the single outlet it is truly a dedicated circuit, with no fear of someone plugging in a portable appliance in a non-GFI outlet.

If a duplex receptacle is used, then a GFI is required, but, the sump pump, or freezer, etc. can be lost if the GFI trips. My not be a good thing during the rainy season, so use a single outlet for the pump.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 12, 2006, 03:20 PM
    I thought that the exception for appliances in the basement was only because they were not easily moved, but after checking my code book, of course you are correct about the single vs. duplex. I'm assuming you mean exception 2 of 210.8(A)(5), right? I didn't know that this applied to sump pumps. I installed mine a while ago with a GFCI, and after it was inspected I replaced it with a regular duplex because I was afraid of the GFI tripping without me knowing it and my basement flooding. I will replace it with a single recep just to keep things kosher. It looks like I'm all right on my refrigerator and freezer that are side-by-side in my basement. I wired them with one split duplex recep fed by two circuits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many outlets/lights/rooms/other on one circuit? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a house built in the 1890s with the original knob and tubing wiring. I'm completely remodeling the bathroom and I want to rewire 3 bedrooms. At first, my plan was to use one circuit per room, but I'm not going to have enough circuits in the existing panel for that. So my question is,...

Too many outlets on a circuit? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into our home 2 years ago(newly built) and the home had an unfinished basement(2 car garage and 2 unfinished rooms). The basement is currently on 1 circuit. Both rooms are now finished and each have 4 electrical outlets. The garage has 3 eletrical outlets, and there are also 2...

Basement outlets [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I wanted to clarify something that was said in another thread but wasn't sure if I should add to that one or start a new one. I have heard that you should place GFI outlets in your basement. TkRussell stated that you do not need them ot is not code for fridges, freezers, washers, sump pumps. I...

How many lights on a 15A lighting circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone! First post and thanks in advance, hopefully! I was wondering how many lights I can put on a 15A lighting circuit. I have a second floor that I want to put a (1) hall light, (3) closet lights, & (1) bedroom light. Would it be too much to put a bathroom vanity light and a vent...

Lights out but circuit is hot [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation, 2 wall outlets, 1 fluorescent, and 9 celing cans all on the same circuit. 6 of the cans are controlled by a pair of 3 way switches, the other three on single pole switches. Nothing works. The circuit breaker doesn't trip and I have reset it several times. What happens is...

View more questions Search