Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Dec 6, 2009, 06:14 AM
    WD Passport Essential External Hard Drive Software
    I just bought a Western Digital - My Passport Essential 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Model: WDBAAA5000ABK-NESN.

I comes pre-loaded with their backup software, but I want to format the drive and just use it for file storage.

I just read a user review that says you can't delete their pre-loaded backup software, because WD put it in the firmware.

Does anyone know if this is true?

If it is in the firmware, would that be located on the sata interface board inside the case, or would it be inside the actual drive itself?

I hate to try formatting, screwing up the device, and having to return it.

If this is true, and the firmware is located on the sata interface board, I can get a generic 2.5" sata enclosure for $7 and just move the drive in there.

Thanks...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2009, 06:20 AM

First, just look on the drive. If there is software or an extra partition on the drive, then delete it. If its in the firmware (very possible) then there is no reason to format the drive. You should still be able to disable it.

But this is a 500G drive, even if the software is on the drive, I doubt if it would take up more than a few MG.

Dec 6, 2009, 06:28 AM

Thanks SG.

It's not the space that concerns me. It's what the drive will try to do when I plug it in. If the software IS on the drive, I should be able to delete it and the partition if necessary.

How would I go about disabling the firmware if it is there?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2009, 06:56 AM

When you plug in the drive there should be a prompt to configure the software. Things like what folders to back up when to do the backups etc. One of those options should be to disable or do it manually.

If you can't find it contact WD tech support.

Dec 6, 2009, 07:25 AM

Sounds good. Thanks very much...

Dec 11, 2009, 06:37 PM

FYI,

Spoke to WD. Their backup software controlled by the firmware. You MUST 1st update the firmware, then download a utility called VCD manager to disable it. It's the only way. Not too bad and it works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have a simpletech external hard drive, windows 98se, connected to a usb port. The "safely remove hardware" taskbar icon is not showing up any longer. I am afraid to switch of the hard drive.

External hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How do I move my files to the external hard drive

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

What up, I just purchased a new PC and I would like to know if I upload all my music and pictures on the PC, will I be able to transfer all info to an external hard drive if I purchase one months down the road? Appreciate the help and Happy Holidays to all!

View more questions Search